Idly is a south Indian traditional breakfast. It is a healthy dish and very easy to digest. You can prepare idly in different ways. Here I like to share with you “how to make idly with idly rava” instead of rice. It is a easy recipe yet soft and spongy. Hope it is a good help for you to prepare different kinds of idly. I will try to post more and more healthy choices of idly and glutton free breakfast recipes soon 🙂
|Recipe Type||Breakfast/ India|
|Soaking time||4 to 5 hours|
|Fermentation Time||8 to 12 hours|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Idly with Idly Rava
|Idly Rava||2 cups|
|White Lentil/urad Daal/ Uzhunu||½ Cup|
|Fenugreek Seeds/Ulluva/ Methi Seeds||2 Pinches|
|Flattened Rice/Poha/Aval||1 tablespoon||Optional|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Gingelly Oil /Sesame Oil/Nallenna||For Greasing idly moulds|
Method For Idly with Idly Rava
• Wash white lentil /Urad daal, fenugreek seeds and poha together, soak in 2 cups plain water. Keep it in a room temperature for next 4 to 5 hours. Soak idly rava in another container with 2 ½ cup water (not much, the rava should be cover with water) keep room temperature for next 4 to 5 hours.
• When soaked, drain the urad daal with fenugreek seeds and poha. Keep the water aside for grinding purpose.
• Place soaked daal, fenugreek seeds and poha in a mixer/ wet grinder with little water (not much and use the same water for soaking daal) and grind. When it’s dry, add required water (small quantity) occasionally and make a thick and smooth batter. Pour the ground batter in a big container (The container needs enough space for its fermentation process).
• Drain and discard water (if have any extra water, just squeeze it) from soaked idly rava . Add in to the urad daal batter. Add salt(not much) and Mix well (use your hand to mix and combine the batter). Cover and keep it in a room temperature for fermentation. (It will take 8 to 12 hours, refer notes).
• When batter well fermented, its quantity will rise and the texture will be very smooth and fluffy (batter will look like above picture).
• Stir the batter gently, add water and salt if required. For this recipe I added some curry leaves for a special aroma. Mix well.
• Heat water (for steam idly) in an idly vessel. Grease oil in the idly moulds. Pour a big spoon full batter in each idly mould.
• Place idly mould plates in the idly vessel. Cover it and cook/steam for next 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow idly to set and cool.
• Uncover the vessel. Use a spoon and remove idly from idly plates one by one.
• Serve idly with sambar and chutney, enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
• Do not use old stock or low quality lentil and idly rava. It will be change idly’s taste and texture.
• For fermenting batter in cold countries, Place the batter in a pre-heated oven (switch off the oven though). Leave the Oven light on since it will give enough heat to keep the temperature steady throughout the fermentation period. This should take about 10-12 hours. At the same time if you use a room heater, place the batter in that room would help in fermentation.
• If you are using pressure cooker for steaming, do not use the whistle /cooker’s weight. Just cook and close without whistle for 10 to 15 minutes in a medium heat.