Sambar is one of the prime south Indian vegetarian delicacies. It is a spicy stew/soup with variety of vegetables and lentil. Many types of Sambar persist depending on the meal of the day, region and vegetables used.It is a main part of Onam/Vishu Sadya, keralites Vegetable Feasts. Sambar is a popular side dish with many main courses like steamed rice, Dosa, Idly, Vada etc…yeah! It is an unavoidable dish in my small world too. So I try to prepare variety of sambar in my magic kitchen. This is one of our favourites thick and tasty sambar. In this recipe I have used homemade sambar powder. It gives a special taste and aroma. I am sure you guys also like this recipe very much and here is the recipe for that tasty Sambar. Try it and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||7 to 8|
Ingredients For Sambar
|Split Yellow Lentil/Toor Daal/Thuvara Parippu||½ Cup||Clean and soak in 2 cups of water for at least 3 hours.|
|Tamarind/Pizhu Pulli Juice||1 cup||Soak one gooseberry sized tamarind in one cup water and strain it.|
|Asafoetida gum/kaayam||1 Small piece||You can use 1 Teaspoon kaayam powder instead of hard gum|
|Turmeric Powder/Manjal||1 Teaspoon|
|Home Made Sambar Powder||3 Tablespoon||Click and read the recipe|
|Potato/Urulla kizhanghu||2 Medium||diced|
|Drumstick/Murighikha||1 Big||Cut into length wise|
|Ladies Finger/Vendakka||8 Numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Lablab Beans/Avara||10 numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Elephant Yam/Chena||A Small Piece||Diced|
|Golden Pumpkin/Mathagha||A Small Piece||Diced|
|Shallots/Small onion||5 to 6||Diced|
|Green Chilly||4 Numbers||Sliced Length wise|
|Salt||As Per Your Taste|
|Water||As Per Required|
Ingredients For Garnishing/Tempting sambar
|Mustard Seeds/kaduku||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small Onions||3 Numbers||Chopped Finely|
|Red Dry Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut into 2 pieces each|
|Coriander Leaves/malli ella||Few||Chopped|
Method For Sambar
• Place all vegetables and soaked toor daal in a pressure cooker.
• Add turmeric Powder, asafoetida and tamarind water.
• Add salt as per your taste.
• Add water as required.
• Cover and cook until the pressure cooker whistles twice.
• When the pressure released add 3 tablespoon homemade Sambar powder (adjust as per your taste) and mix well. Keep aside.
Method For Garnishing/Tempting Sambar
• Heat oil in a sauce Pan.
• Pop mustard seeds.
• Add chopped shallots/small onions, dry chilly pieces and curry leaves. Fry well.
• When its golden brown, Pour it over the sambar and Mix well.
• Taste it and add salt if required.
• Garnish with Chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve hot or cold with steamed rice & pappad, Idly or Dosa. Enjoy!
More Sambar recipes please click HERE
Sony's kitchen says
Always my fav……. Looks yummm and tempting too!!
Tempting sambar. Love it
Lovely thick sambhar. Looks very tempting
Sambar s such a comfort food. Looks yum
Seena Koshy says
Kerala’s ever drooling sambar.. perfect post for the upcoming ona sadya Rani.. 🙂