Sambar is one of the prime south Indian vegetarian delicacies. It is a spicy stew/soup with variety of vegetables and lentil. Many types of Sambar persist depending on the meal of the day, region and vegetables used.It is a main part of Onam/Vishu Sadya, keralites Vegetable Feasts. Sambar is a popular side dish with many main courses like steamed rice, Dosa, Idly, Vada etc…yeah! It is an unavoidable dish in my small world too. So I try to prepare variety of sambar in my magic kitchen. This is one of our favourites thick and tasty sambar. In this recipe I have used homemade sambar powder. It gives a special taste and aroma. I am sure you guys also like this recipe very much and here is the recipe for that tasty Sambar. Try it and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||7 to 8|
Ingredients For Sambar
|Split Yellow Lentil/Toor Daal/Thuvara Parippu||½ Cup||Clean and soak in 2 cups of water for at least 3 hours.|
|Tamarind/Pizhu Pulli Juice||1 cup||Soak one gooseberry sized tamarind in one cup water and strain it.|
|Asafoetida gum/kaayam||1 Small piece||You can use 1 Teaspoon kaayam powder instead of hard gum|
|Turmeric Powder/Manjal||1 Teaspoon|
|Home Made Sambar Powder||3 Tablespoon||Click and read the recipe|
|Potato/Urulla kizhanghu||2 Medium||diced|
|Drumstick/Murighikha||1 Big||Cut into length wise|
|Ladies Finger/Vendakka||8 Numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Lablab Beans/Avara||10 numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Elephant Yam/Chena||A Small Piece||Diced|
|Golden Pumpkin/Mathagha||A Small Piece||Diced|
|Shallots/Small onion||5 to 6||Diced|
|Green Chilly||4 Numbers||Sliced Length wise|
|Salt||As Per Your Taste|
|Water||As Per Required|
Ingredients For Garnishing/Tempting sambar
|Mustard Seeds/kaduku||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small Onions||3 Numbers||Chopped Finely|
|Red Dry Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut into 2 pieces each|
|Coriander Leaves/malli ella||Few||Chopped|
Method For Sambar
• Place all vegetables and soaked toor daal in a pressure cooker.
• Add turmeric Powder, asafoetida and tamarind water.
• Add salt as per your taste.
• Add water as required.
• Cover and cook until the pressure cooker whistles twice.
• When the pressure released add 3 tablespoon homemade Sambar powder (adjust as per your taste) and mix well. Keep aside.
Method For Garnishing/Tempting Sambar
• Heat oil in a sauce Pan.
• Pop mustard seeds.
• Add chopped shallots/small onions, dry chilly pieces and curry leaves. Fry well.
• When its golden brown, Pour it over the sambar and Mix well.
• Taste it and add salt if required.
• Garnish with Chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve hot or cold with steamed rice & pappad, Idly or Dosa. Enjoy!
More Sambar recipes please click HERE