Avial is a traditional healthy dish of Kerala, India. It is a mixed vegetable delicacy with grind coconut paste, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. It is an essential part of Onam and Vishu Sadya, Keralite vegetarian feasts. In this recipe we can use variety of vegetables like elephant yam, raw banana or plantain, carrot, beans, eggplant, drumstick, snake gourd, potato etc. I normally prepare this dish with whatever I can find in my vegetable basket but I believe without elephant yam and plantain we might not be able to cook good Avial. As per my experience, elephant yam always gives me some itchy feeling on my beautiful palms during the preparation time ;-). You can protect our palms by using kitchen gloves if you need. I am a brave typical Keralite 😉 I follow my mom’s recommendation and apply some coconut oil to hands after the preparation. In this dish you can use yogurt or raw mango or tomato for savor taste. Some of my friends told me that they like Aviyal but don’t enjoy the hard work to prepare it. Yeah, true! This recipe needs some patience and time to prepare. Personally I love this dish so I try to cook Aviyal once in a week and eat more Aviyal than rice ;-). I hope you guys also like this vegetable feast very much. Make a try and enjoy the healthy and tasty vegetable treat from kerala :-).
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 minutes|
|Serve To||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Aviyal
|Yam(Chena)||100 Gram||Skinned and Sliced into length wise|
|Plantain/Raw Banana(Pachakka)||2 Numbers||Skinned and Sliced into length wise|
|Carrot||1 Number||Sliced into length wise|
|Drum Stick(muringikka)||1 Number||Cut into length wise|
|Lablab Beans (Avara)||10 Numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Snake Guard(Padavalanga)||50 Gram||Cut into length wise|
|Potato||1(Medium Size)||Skinned and Sliced into lengthwise|
|Garlic||4 Cloves||skinned and Chopped Finely(Optional but it prevents gastric problems)|
|Green Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut into length wise (Adjust as per your taste)|
|Turmeric Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
|Water||For cooking Vegetables|
Ingredients For Coconut Paste
|Green Chilly||2 Numbers||Adjust as per your taste|
|Curry Leaves||A hand full|
Ingredients For Tempting Aviyal
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small Onion||3 Numbers||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Dry Red Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut in to 2 or use as whole|
Method For Avial
1. Place ingredients for coconut paste in a blender or food processor, blend and make a smashed form. Keep aside.
2. Place all vegetables for avial and water & salt (required for cook vegetables) in a sauce pan.Cover and cook until all vegetables soft.(Do not over cook vegetables) . Add turmeric and roasted cumin seed powder and mix well. Add water if need.
3. when all vegetables are well cooked and semi dry in texture, add coconut paste. Mix well and cook next two to three minutes in a medium heat (do not cover the pan).
4. When the gravy thickens,taste it and add salt (if required). Turn off the heat and keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a frying pan. Pop mustard seeds. Add ingredients for tempting Avial. Fry it until crispy and golden brown. Pour it over the Avail gravy and Mix well. Serve hot or cold with boiled rice or chappathi.
You can find more kerala delicacies HERE