Theeyal is a traditional delicacy of Kerala, India. Mixed Vegetables Theeyal ( Koottu Theeyal) is a tasty and aromatic vegetarian dish. It is a combination of variety of vegetables and roasted coconut & masala powder. In this recipe I added more shallots/pearl onions for enhancing the taste of gravy. I think the pealing of shallots/pearl onion is the challenging part of this preparation. No worries guys, I can give you a wonderful tip :-). Before the Theeyal preparation, you need to soak pearl onions in the warm water for 20 to 30 minutes. It helps to remove its skin very easily and you too survive from the onion’s strong eye irritating gas produce .See I give you a best tear free trick 😉 🙂 try it once and feel the difference. You can use big onions instead of shallots in this recipe but in my experiences and studies shallots have more nutritional values than big onions so try to add more shallots/pearl onions in your daily meals.
In certain places of kerala, Mixed Vegetables Theeyal is an essential part of Onam Sadya/ Vishu Sadya (Keralites Vegetarian Feasts) . Here is the recipe, try and enjoy the traditional delicacy with hot boiled rice…
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||45 Minutes|
|Standing and setting Time||At least 30 Minutes|
|Serve to||7 to 8|
Ingredients For Mixed Vegetable Theeyal ( Koottu Theeyal)
|Coconut Oil/Any Veg Oil||3 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Pearl Onion||200g||Peeled and Diced(You can use 3 big onions instead of shallots)|
|Garlic||3 Cloves||Peeled and Diced|
|Green chilly||2 or 3 Numbers||Slit Lengthwise|
|Potato||1 Big||Peel and Dice into small Pieces|
|Yam/Chena||100gm||Peel and Dice into small pieces|
|Drum Stick||1 Big||Clean and Cut into lengthwise|
|Egg Plant/ Brinjal||2 numbers||Dice into small pieces|
|Ladies Finger/Okra||5 to 6||Cut into lengthwise|
|Theeyal Masala Powder||Click and read the recipe|
|Tamarind Water||From 1 gooseberry size||Soak in ½ cup water. Strain and take juice.|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon(Extra)|
|Chilly Powder||1 Teaspoon||(Extra)|
|Salt||As per your Taste|
|Sugar||A Pinch||For Taste|
|Water||As per required|
Method For Kerala Mixed Vegetable Theeyal (Koottu Theeyal)
• Heat oil in a big pan or wok and pop mustard seeds.
• When it’s popped well, add shallots, green chilly, garlic and curry leaves. Stir well in a medium heat.
• When its soft and mild brown, add all vegetables except tomato and sauté well.
• Lower the heat. Add extra chilly & turmeric powders and salt for vegetables. Sauté 2 minutes.
• Add Theeyal Masala and sauté well next 2 minutes.
• Add diced tomato and 2 table spoon tamarind juice. Stir well.
• When all masala well coated with vegetables, add water ( approximately 2 1/2 cups) and mix well.
• Cover it and cook next 15 to 20 minutes in a medium heat. Uncover and sauté occasionally.
• Check the vegetables and gravy texture. If it is too watery, uncover and cook next few minutes.
• Do not allow it to thicken too much because it will thicken after setting.
• Taste it and add salt and tamarind juice if required. Add a pinch sugar for taste.
• When the vegetables cooked well and gravy light thicken, sprinkle some coconut oil for aroma.
• Turn off the heat and keep aside Theeyal for setting.
• Serve with boiled rice, moru curry and fish fries. It’s my all time favourite taste bud 🙂