Theeyal is a traditional delicacy from Kerala, India. Potato Theeyal is a simple, tasty and aromatic vegetarian dish. It is a combination of potato and roasted coconut & masala powder. In this recipe I used homemade Theeyal Powder and I added more shallots/ pearl onions for enhancing the taste of gravy. For this lent season this tasty recipe helps me very much. Here is the simple vegetarian recipe, try and enjoy the traditional delicacy with hot boiled rice. 🙂
|Cooking and Preparation Time
|Standing and setting Time
|At least 30 Minutes
|3 to 4
Ingredients For Potato Theeyal (Potato Theeyal)
|Coconut Oil/Any Veg Oil
|Adjust as per your taste
|Peeled and Diced (You can use 3 big onions instead of shallots)
|Peeled and Diced
|2 or 3 Numbers
|Peel and Dice into small Pieces
|Theeyal Masala Powder
|Click and read the recipe
|From 1 gooseberry size
|Soak in ½ cup water. Strain and take juice.
|As per your Taste
|A small piece/ A Pinch
|As per required
Method For Potato Theeyal
• Heat oil in a big pan or wok and pop mustard seeds.
• When it’s popped well, add shallots, green chilly, garlic and curry leaves. Stir well in a medium heat.
• When its soft and mild brown, add potato. Stir well.
• Lower the heat. Add chilly, turmeric, coriander powders and salt for potato. Mix and s sauté 1 minute.
• Close and cook it 2 minutes.
• Open the lid and add tomato. Statue and mix well.
• Add Theeyal Masala and sauté well next 2 minutes.
• When all masala well coated with potato, add tamarind juice and water (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 cups water) and mix well.
• Add salt for gravy and mix well.
• Cover it and cook next 15 to 20 minutes in a medium heat.
• Uncover and add jaggery, mix well.
• Check the vegetables and gravy texture. If it is too watery, uncover and cook next few minutes.
• Do not allow it to thicken too much because it will thicken after setting.
• Taste it and add salt if required.
• When the potatoes are cooked well and gravy light thickens, sprinkle some coconut oil for aroma.
• Turn off the heat and keep aside Theeyal for setting.
• Serve Potato Theeyal with hot boiled rice, moru curry and fish fries or fish cutlets. It’s my all-time favourite taste bud 🙂
For homemade Theeyal Powder recipe, Please click HERE.
For more Kerala traditional recipes, please click HERE.