Theeyal is a traditional dish prepared in Kerala. Konju Theeyal or Prawns with roasted coconut paste gravy is one of the main seafood delicacies of Kerala cuisine. In this recipe I believe that the dish has right “smell, color, and taste.” When it gets cooked you would get an excellent Kerala Kitchen feeling wherever you are. In this recipe you can add any vegetables like potato, drumsticks, ladies fingers, eggplant, capsicum etc with prawns. Here I present you prawns with potato because I like the taste of potatoes in the prawn gravy. Drum sticks are also a great combination with this recipe. Sadly I couldn’t get any drum sticks from my vegetable basket for this recipe :-(. Hmmmm… no worries I am sure I can get it next time :-). Do you know one thing? This is one of my madly favorite dishes. This one with hot rice and fish fry.. oh my God!!! I can’t find words to explain. Very yummy!! and now this recipe also reminds me of my childhood tastes and memories again ;-). I heard from my mother that I eat more rice whenever she prepare this dish with fish fry. hmmmm..I think I have not changed much even today ;-). What to do? Yes!! I am a Kerala food lover :-). I hope you guys will also enjoy this recipe as much as I do. Here is the recipe. Happy cooking 🙂
|Recipe Type||Seafood Side Dish / Kerala|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
|Cooking Time||20 to 30 minutes|
Ingredients For Konju Theeyal
|Prawns||1 Cup(medium size)||Peeled and Cleaned|
|Potatoes||2(medium size)||Peeled and Diced|
|Shallots (Kochulli)||1 Cup||Peeled and Diced|
|Garlic||3 cloves||Chopped finely|
|Ginger||a small piece||Chopped finely|
|Green Chilly||2 to 3||Slit lengthwise|
|Grated Coconut||1 cup|
|Dry Red Chilly||5 to 6||Cut into small pieces|
|Coriander Seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Fennel Seeds||A Pinch|
|Black Pepper Seeds||A pinch|
|Mustard Seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind Juice||A Gooseberry Sized||Soak with I/2 cup water and strain and keep the juice aside|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon||Try to use coconut oil for the original taste|
|Curry Leaves||2 strings|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method for Konju Theeyal
1. Heat a frying pan. Add grated coconut, some curry leaves and a pinch chopped garlic. Fry till light brown. Add dry chilly pieces, coriander, fenugreek, black pepper and fennel seeds. Fry until golden brown. Turn off the heat. Add turmeric powder. Mix well. Keep aside and allow it to cool.
2. Grind with or without water. Make a paste or powder. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wide pan. Pop mustard seeds.
4. Add garlic, ginger, shallots, green chilly and curry leaves and sauté.
5. When shallots become golden brown, add tomato and then potato, saute 2 minutes and fry well.
6. Add ground theeyal paste(or theeyal Powder),saute 1 minute. Add tamarind juice, water and salt as per your taste and mix well. Allow it to boil.
7. When boiled add prawns. Cover and leave it to cook 10 to 15 minutes. When it is gravy form, turn off the heat and sprinkle some coconut oil (if needed). Serve hot with rice, chappathi or bread.Enjoy!
you can use homemade Theeyal Powder instead of theeyal ground paste.
Do not over cook prawns. It will be rubbery in texture.
The roasted coconut ingredients grind and powdered without water can be kept in refrigerator for a couple of months.