Simple Vegetable Stew is an easy and tasty vegetable curry with some vegetables ,number of Indian spices and fresh milk. In Kerala (India) it is very popular break fast side dish and it served with Appam, Idiyappam, Chappathi, Puttu or Bread. Try this simple and easy pressure cooked vegetable stew recipe and enjoy!
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/ Kerala/India|
|Cooking and preparation Time||15 to 20 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Simple Vegetable Stew
|Potato||3 (Medium size)||Skinned and Diced|
|Tomato||1 Medium size||Ripen|
|Carrot||1 Big||Cleaned and Diced|
|Big Onion||1 Big||Skinned and Sliced|
|Ginger (Fat)||1 Inch root||Chopped Finely|
|Garlic (Fat)||2 Cloves||Chopped Finely|
|Green Chilly||2 Chilly||Cut into lengthwise|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon||I used Coconut Oil for this recipe|
|Fresh Pepper Powder||¾ Tablespoon to 1 tablespoon||Adjust as per your Taste|
|Fresh Meat Spices Powder(Erachii Masala Podi)||½ Teaspoon|
|Water||½ to 3/4 Cup||For cooking vegetables|
|Fresh Milk||1 Cup||I used thick Cow’s Milk|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Simple Vegetable Stew
• Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add chopped ginger and garlic, sauté in a medium heat. When its turn light brown, add sliced onion, green chilly and curry leaves. Sauté next 2 minutes.
• When the onion slices are soft and light brown, add tomato Pieces. Sauté 1 minute.
• Add potato and carrot dices, sauté next 2 minutes.
• Lower the heat and add pepper powder, salt and water. Mix well. Cover and cook in a low heat until the pressure cooker whistle once. Turn off the heat, leave it to cool and its pressure release.
• When pressure released, uncover the cooker and re heat.
• Add ½ Tablespoon Meat spices Powder (erachi masala Podi). Mix well.
• Lower the heat, add fresh milk. Mix well.
• When the milk well mixed with vegetables and spices. Turn off the heat ( once the milk has been added, do not boil stew)
• Taste it and add salt if required.
• Garnish vegetable stew with some curry leaves.
• Serve hot with Appam, Idiyappam, chappathi , bread or Puttu. Enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips:-
You can use thick coconut milk instead of cow’s milk.
once the milk has been added, do not boil stew.
The proportion of the potato and carrot must be 3:1, other wise the stew will be sweet
Try to use fresh spices powders for this recipe. It gives your stew special treat.