Carrot Thoran/ Carrot Upperi (Carrot Stir fry with coconut ground paste) is a tasty and healthy Kerala style vegetable preparation.It is well goes with boiled rice or chappathi. It is an essential part of Onam/Vishu sadya, keralites feasts.
Back home, in my school and college days it was one of my favorite lunch box side dish like Cabbage Thoran, Potato stir Fry. Those days I loved the color and aroma that opened lunch box gave me 🙂 Yeah! it was awesome! 😀
Carrot is very healthy vegetable. It contains plenty of anti-oxidants, Beta-carotene, vitamins, fiber etc..etc.. so try to add more carrot dishes in your daily meal and I am sure to add more tasty carrot recipes in my recipe basket soon 🙂 For now, try my kerala style Carrot thoran /Upperi recipe and enjoy! happy cooking 🙂
|Recipe Type||Veg Side Dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Carrot Thoran/ Carrot Upperi (Kerala Style Carrot Stir fry with Coconut Ground Paste)
|Fresh Carrot||2 medium||cleaned and grated finely|
|Fresh Grated Coconut||100g|
|Coconut oil||2 tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Urad (Uzhunu) Daal/ Black lentil (Whole lentil without skin)||½ Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small size||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||1 fat clove||Skinned and chopped finely (Optional)|
|Green Chilly||1 Number||For Coconut Paste|
|Red Dry Chilly||2 Numbers||Cut into small|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|Red Chilly Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||As Per Your Taste|
|Water||If required||refer notes|
Method For Carrot Thoran/ Carrot Upperi (Kerala Style carrot Stir fry with Coconut Ground Paste)
- Heat oil in a non-stick, wide pan. Pop mustard seeds and add urad daal.
- When the daal turns golden brown, add chopped onion, garlic, curry leaves and dry chilly. Sauté well.
- When the onion become soft and light brown in colour, add grated carrot. Stir and mix well.
- Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin seed powder and salt. Cover and cook it in a medium heat for next 10 minutes.
- Place coconut, green chilly and some curry leaves in a grinder/food processor. Grind and make a crush /coarse paste.
- Uncover the pan, add ground coconut paste. Try to cover the ground coconut paste well with cooked carrot. (Refer the method picture)
- Cover the pan again and cook it for next 5 minutes in a low/medium heat.
- Uncover the pan, stir and combine the Thoran continuously in a high flame.
- Taste Thoran, add salt if required. When it’s very dry in texture, turn off the heat. Our kerala Style Carrot thoran is ready! Serve it hot or warm with boiled rice or chappathi. Enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
Refrigerated carrots contains plenty of water. If it is too dry during its cooking time, sprinkle some water and cook.
You can add any veg oil instead of coconut oil. Adding coconut oil, gives your Carrot thoran authentic Kerala taste and aroma.
Try to add roasted cumin seed powder, it gives your thoran an awesome aroma and taste.
Do not overcook carrots, it will lose its health benefits.