Thoran is a coconut based recipe from Kerala, South India. Normally keralites prepare variety of Thoran with fresh and crunchy vegetables like cabbage, carrot, beans, beetroot, green plantain etc. It is a great side dish for Onam/Vishu sadya, Keralites Feasts.
Beet Thoran is a great combo with steamed rice and I love that combo from my childhood 🙂 Yeah! I love to mix hot boiled rice with beetroot thoran and later enjoy sweet and mild spicy purple colour rice alone, it tastes awesome 😀 . Also Beetroot Thoran and Moru Curry or Sambar are great lunch side dishes with boiled rice. Beetroot or Beet has lots of health benefits so try to consume it more in a tasty manner and make it as your favourite vegetable 🙂 . Try this colourful and nutritious Kerala recipe and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Veg Side dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Beetroot Thoran/Upperi(Beetroot Stir Fry with Coconut and Spices, Kerala Style)
|Beetroot||2 big||Skinned and grated (approximately 3 cups)|
|Grated Coconut||1 Cup|
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/small onion||5 to 6||Skinned and Chopped finely|
|Dry Red Chili||2 Numbers||Cut into Small|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Green Chili||2 Numbers||Cut into Small|
|Curry leaves||few||For ground paste|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Beetroot Thoran/Upperi (Beetroot Stir Fry with Coconut and Spices, Kerala Style)
• Heat oil in a non-stick pan, pop mustard. Add onion, dry chili and curry leaves. Fry until light brown.
• Add beetroot, stir until its raw smell disappears.
• Close and cook 5 minutes in a low-medium heat.
• In a mixer (small jar) place coconut, roasted cumin seed powder, turmeric powder, green chili and few curry leaves.
• Blend and make a coarse/mashed form. Keep aside.
• Uncover the pan, add salt required, mix well.
• Make a small round space in the middle of the pan. (refer method picture)
• Place coconut ground paste in the middle and cover it with cooked beetroot.
• Close the pan, cook it again 3 to 5 minutes in a low heat.
• Uncover, mix thoran and stir in a high flame until it looks dry and roast texture.
• Turn off the heat, serve Beetroot Thoran hot or warm with boiled rice or chappathi, enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
Refrigerated beetroot contains plenty of water, so not need extra water in its cooking time. If it looks too dry, sprinkle some water and cook.
Cooked beetroot reduce in quantity so add salt after its cooking time.
You can add any veg oil instead of coconut oil. Adding coconut oil, gives your beetroot thoran authentic Kerala taste and aroma.
Try to add roasted cumin seed powder, it gives your thoran an awesome aroma and taste.
Do not overcook beetroots, it will lose its health benefits.