Plantain/ Raw Banana Coconut Stir Fry (Pachakka/Vazhakka Thoran) is a tasty and healthy Kerala (India) vegetarian side dish. It is a good combination with hot boiled rice or Kerala Porridge and pappad. You can consume this traditional tasty delicacy as a part of Onam/ Vishu Sadya, Keralities vegetarian feast. Here is the yummy recipe, try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Vegetarian Side Dish/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
|Serve to||2 to 3|
Ingredients For Plantain/ Raw Banana Coconut Stir Fry (Pachakka/Vazhakka Thoran)
|Plantain/Raw Banana/Pachakka||2 Medium Size||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Coconut /Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Red Dry Chilly||2 Number||Cut into small pieces|
|Big Onion||1 Medium Size||Peeled and Chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Cloves||Peeled and chopped|
|Red Chilly Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Fresh Grated Coconut||100g||For Grinding|
|Green Chilly||1 Numbers||Chopped ( For Grinding)|
|Shallots/Small Onion||2 Numbers||Chopped ( For Grinding)|
|Turmeric Powder||½ teaspoon||For Grinding|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 Teaspoon||For Grinding|
|Curry leaves||5 to 6 leaves||For Grinding|
Method For Plantain/ Raw Banana Coconut Stir Fry (Pachakka/Vazhakka Thoran)
• Place all ingredients for grinding in a mixer/blender (small jar), grind or rinse once and make a mashed form. Keep aside.
• Heat Oil in a thick bottomed pan, pop mustard seeds.
• Add chopped big onion , garlic, dry chilly slices and few curry leaves. Sauté until golden brown.
• Add chopped raw banana and stir well.
• Add red chilly powder and salt as required, sauté and fry well.
• Sprinkle some water, cover the pan and cook next 3 to 4 minutes.
• Uncover and add smashed coconut spice mix , sauté well and cover & cook next 5 minutes.
• Uncover the pan and sprinkle some coconut oil.
• Sauté and roast Thoran/stir fry until very dry in texture.
• Turn off the heat and serve hot or cold with hot boiled rice or Kerala porridge. Enjoy 🙂
You can find more yummy kerala Onam/Vishu recipes HERE
priya satheesh says
Delicious stir fry and perfect with hot rice !
Delicious vazaka thoran.
Very delicious stir fry.. Looks really yummy..
Love the coconut flavour:-) great side dish looks yummy
Andrew George says
My favourite kerala dish..it looks delicious … keep up your great work.
Sony's kitchen says
Like the combo……. Looks yummy stir fry!!
v make it very simple.. urs seems to be more delicious with cumin,shallots,etc… got to try this fr Onam..
simple kerala recipe i love adding small onions to it
Love it with sambar rice.
Chitra Jagadish says
i just love raw banana stir fry and your version looks delicious with coconut flavour Rani…
this is apt since i was planning to make something for onam.
Shobana Vijay says
Will give a try..Nice twist with coconut
Usha Srikumar says
Spicy banana curry.Looks yum.
Yummy and tasty.
Roja Meeran says
Very nice..looks tasty..You took so much strain to make even a ordinary vegetable into a extraordinary dish…am loving it!