Cabbage Thoran/Upperi (Cabbage Stir fry with coconut ground paste) is a tasty Kerala style vegetable preparation. It is an essential part of Onam/Vishu sadya, keralites feasts. Back home, in my school and college days it was one of my favourite lunch box side dish. Yeah 🙂 It is well goes with boiled rice or chappathi. Here is that tasty cabbage Thoran/Upperi recipe. Make a try and experience the magical taste 🙂
|Recipe Type||Veg Side Dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Cabbage Thoran/ Upperi (Kerala Style Cabbage Stir fry with Coconut Ground Paste)
|Cabbage||250g||cleaned and Chopped Finely|
|Fresh Grated Coconut||100g|
|Coconut oil||2 tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Urad (Uzhunu) Daal/ Black lentil (Whole lentil without skin)||½ Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small/Medium size||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||1 fat clove||Skinned and chopped finely (Optional)|
|Ginger||½ inch root||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Red Dry Chilly||2 Numbers||Cut into small|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|Red Chilly Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Green Chilly||1 Number||Cut into small|
|Salt||As Per Your Taste|
|Water||If required||refer notes|
Method For Cabbage Thoran/ Upperi (Kerala Style Cabbage Stir fry with Coconut Ground Paste)
- Place coconut, chilly powder, turmeric powder, roasted cumin seed powder and green chilly in a grinder/food processor. Grind and make a crush /coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan. Pop mustard seeds and add urad daal. When the daal turns golden brown, add chopped onion, ginger and garlic, curry leaves and dry chilly. Sauté well.
- When the onion become soft and light brown in colour, add cabbage. Stir and mix well. Cover and cook cabbage in a medium heat for next 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, add coconut paste and salt. Try to cover the ground coconut paste well with cooked cabbage. (Refer the method picture)
- Cover the pan again and cook it for next 10 minutes in a low/medium heat.
- Uncover the pan, stir and combine the Thoran continuously in a high flame.
- When it’s very dry in texture, turn off the heat. Serve Thoran hot with boiled rice or chappathi. Enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
cabbage contains plenty of water. If it is too dry during its cooking time, sprinkle some water and cook.
You can add any veg oil instead of coconut oil. Adding coconut oil, gives your cabbage thoran authentic Kerala taste and aroma.
Cabbage thoram looks delicious:-)
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Vidya 🙂
Very Nice Rani
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Rahana 🙂