Mutton Stew is a mild spicy and aromatic Indian curry/Stew with fresh and tender meat, some Kerala spices and milk. In Kerala it is very popular among Kerala Christians. Appam (Rice Pancake) and Mutton Stew is an indispensable pair of dishes for them in their weddings, Christmas and Easter celebrations.
Even at my wedding in Kerala, this awesome combo was a highlight starter with crunchy beef cutlets (Indian beef croquettes) and my Singaporean hubby always mention that tempting memories other than our exchange of wedding vows 😉 😀 yeah! It was delicious!
From my childhood I am a great fan of this combo and I already shared that taste to you HERE with my mom’s mutton stew recipe 🙂 Now I am trying to give you it’s easier and simple version (Pressure Cooker Mutton Stew), try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Breakfast Side Dish/ Non Veg Side Dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 40 Minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Simple and tasty Kerala Mutton Stew (Pressure Cooker Mutton Stew With Fresh Milk)
|Mutton||500g||Cubed With or Without Bones (Choose Fatless Meat)|
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1 Inch Stick||Cut into small|
|Fennel Seeds||A pinch|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon||Chopped or Crushed|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon||Chopped or Crushed|
|Onion/Savola||1 Big||Skinned and Sliced Thinly|
|Green Chili||3 to 4||Slit into lengthwise (Adjust as per your taste)|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig|
|Potato||1 Big||Skinned and Cubed|
|Fresh Black Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Homemade Meat Masala/ Irachi Masala Podi/ Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
|Water||1 Cup||To Cook Mutton and Vegetables|
|Fresh Milk||2 Cups||I used Cow’s thick milk|
|Crushed Fresh Black Pepper||¼ Teaspoon||For Garnishing|
Method For Simple and tasty Kerala Mutton Stew (Pressure Cooker Mutton Stew With Fresh Milk)
• Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
• Add whole Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves and Fennel Seeds.
• Add ginger and garlic, saute 1 minute.
• Add onion, chilly and curry leaves. Saute until light brown and soft.
• Add pepper powder, garam masala/erachi masala podi, saute until its raw smell disappear.
• Add tomato, saute until soft.
• Add mutton pieces, carrot and potato. Mix well until all spices well coated with meat and vegetable pieces.
• Add water and salt for cook meat and vegetables. Cover and cook in a low-medium heat until pressure cooker whistles twice. Keep aside for release pressure.
• Once the pressure is released, uncover the cooker. You can see that the meat and vegetables are cooked well in the stock.
• Reheat it and add fresh milk, let it boil next 5 to 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
• Garnish with fresh crushed pepper, leave stew few minutes for setting.
• Reheat and serve hot with Appam, Idiyappam, bread, Puttu, Chappathi etc. and enjoy 🙂
Soma Saharay says
When its mutton…. I will run for it…with appam I guess
Mutton stew looks adipoli.
Super Mutton Stew Ranikutty
Seena Koshy says
Hi Rani, this mutton stew looks superb and is having the perfect color.. 🙂
Rani Vijoo says
thanks Seena 🙂
Super Rani kutty