Sambar is a tasty and an indispensable side dish in South India. In India, they prepare Sambar in different ways, its taste and texture will be different. We can prepare Sambar in a simple way to royal mode. Here I would like to introduce in sambar with a royal Sambar homemade mix or Sambar Powder, called “ Roasted coconut and spices Sambar powder or varuthu podicha Sambar podi“. I have already given to you homemade sambar powder recipe. The difference here is its roasted coconut. It heightens the taste, aroma and thickness of your Sambar. My suggestion and tip for working people who are interested in cooking is that you can prepare and store these kind of homemade spices in your free time. It will help you to reduce your preparation time yet you can cook wonderful healthy dishes.
In Kerala, it’s called ” Varutharacha Sambar” because they prepare spices in an arakallu (grinding stone) and make a smooth paste. We also can make paste form in the blender with water but it can not be preserved for long period because of its water content. My suggestion is to make a powder form for storage. This dish also a highlight of Kerala onam/vishu sadya. Try this Kerala royal vegetarian delicacy and enjoy!
|Recipe Type||Side Dish|
|Cooking and preparation time||30 to 40 Minutes|
|Serve to||7 to 8|
Ingredients For Varutharacha Sambar
|Toor Daal/Split pea/Sambar Parippu||150 Gram||cleaned and soaked in water 3 to 4 hours before cooking.|
|Potato||1 big||Skinned and iced|
|Shallots/small onions/Kochulli||10 to 15 numbers||skinned and diced|
|Garlic/velluthulli||5 to 6 Cloves||Skinned and Diced|
|Pumpkin/Mathanga||100 gram||Skinned and Cubed|
|Ladies Finger/Okra/vendakka||6 to 8 Numbers||Cut into length wise|
|Drum stick||1 big||Cut into length wise|
|Winter melon/Kumbalanga||100 gram||Skinned and Cubed|
|Yam/Chena||100 gram||Skinned and Cubed|
|Green Chillies||3 or 4||Cut into length wise|
|Asafoetida gum/Kaayam||small goose berry size|
|Turmeric Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Tamarind Juice/Pulli Vellam||small lime sized tamarind||Soak in a cup of water. Strain and keep aside.|
|Roasted Coconut and Spices Sambar Powder/varuthu Podicha Sambarpodi||5 to 6 tablespoon or as per your taste||Click and read the recipe|
|Coriander leaves||For garnishing|
Ingredients For Seasoning/Tempting Varutharacha Sambar
|Coconut Oil/Any Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small onion||3 numbers||Chopped finely|
|Red Dry Chilly||3 or 4||cut into length wise|
Method For Varutharacha Sambar
• Place soaked split pea, vegetables, asafoetida gum, turmeric powder, salt and water for vegetables in a pressure cooker. Cook until it whistles once. Turn off the heat and leave to cool and pressure to release.
• When its pressure released, heat it in a medium heat. Add tamarind juice, roasted coconut and spices sambar powder and water if required. Mix well and leave it to boil.
• When boiled, taste it and add salt if required. Turn off the heat.
• Heat oil in a frying pan. Pop mustard seeds. When its popped well, add chopped small onions, dry chilly pieces and curry leaves. Fry well.
• When its golden colour, turn off the heat and pour over the Varutharacha samabar gravy and mix well. Garnish sambar with chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve hot or cold with boiled rice, idly or dosa and enjoy 🙂