Upma or Uppumavu is a simple and healthy Indian breakfast dish. Rava Upma/Uppumava is nutritious and tasty recipe prepared with roasted semolina or cream of wheat. We can make upma different variations like adding vegetables, dry nuts and fruits etc. Here I shared with you it’s plain and easy recipe which I learned from my mom during my school days. Most of the time I prepared upma because of my mom 🙁 she cooked something which I dislike for breakfast 😉 Yeah! Those days this was quick and an easy recipe for my hunger and after my preparation I used to shout to my mom proudly with some naughty cutie chef voice “See! my delicious salt mango tree is ready to serve, anyone want to taste” 😉 (The Malayalam words “Uppu”means salt and “Maavu” means “Mango tree”) Those days I love to eat upma/uppumaavu with ripe banana, sugar and hot tea or coffee and nothing has change till today 😉 🙂
|Cooking and preparation time
|15 to 20 Minutes
Ingredients For Simple Rava Upma/Uppumavu Kerala Style
|Rava/Semolina/ Cream of Wheat
|Coconut Oil/ Ghee
|Big Onion/ Savola
|Skinned and Sliced Thinly
|1 Inch Root
|Skinned and chopped Finely
|Dry Red Chili
|Cut into Small
|Adjust as per your taste
|5 Cups (approximately)
Method For Simple Rava Upma/Uppumavu Kerala Style
• Heat rava in a wide pan. Roast until light brown colour and crisp. Transfer it in to a plate, keep aside.
• Heat oil in the same pan, pop mustard seeds. Add onion, ginger, chilies and curry leaves. Fry until light brown.
• Add water and salt to taste, allow to boil.
• Add roasted rava /Semolina slowly, stir and mix continuously until all rava absorbe and cook in the water.
• Cover and cook in a low flame next 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and mix well.
• when it looks soft and fluffy in texture, turn off the heat. Serve Upma/ Uppumaavu hot with chutney and sambar or sugar and banana or desired combo, enjoy!