Upma or Uppumavu is a simple and healthy Indian breakfast dish. Semiya/ Vermicelli Upma/ Uppumaavu is a healthy, tasty and simple recipe from South India. It is an easy to make breakfast or lunch box snack or tea time snack. We can make Semiya/ Vermicelli Upma with vegetables and without vegetables. Here I am sharing with you Semiya/ Vermicelli Upma without vegetables, it well goes with ripe banana, sugar and a glass of hot tea or coffee. That is my taste bud 😉 Make a try and enjoy 🙂
|South Indian Break Fast/ Teatime Snack
|Cooking and Preparation Time
|20 to 30 minutes
|2 to 3
Ingredients For Simple Semiya/ Vermicelli Upma/ Uppumaavu
|I used thick version (Check Notes)
|1 Inch Root
|Skinned and chopped Finely
|1 Medium Size
|Skinned and Sliced Thinly
|Red Dry Chili
|Cut into Small
|2 to 3
|Coconut Oil/ Ghee
|A hand full
|As Per Your Taste
Method For Simple Semiya/ Vermicelli Upma/ Uppumaavu
• Dry roast semiya / Vermicelli Until Light golden brown. Keep a side.
• Heat 1 Tablespoon oil/gee in a pan, add cashew nut. Fry until golden brown, remove from oil.
• Add remaining oil/ghee, pop mustard. Add onion, red chili, and green chili and curry leaves. Sauté until onion becomes light brown and soft.
• Add water and salt, allow boiling.
• When it starts boiling, add roasted semiya/ Vermicelli. Mix well.
• Cover and cook until all water is absorbed (it will take 5 to 10 minutes). Uncover and stir occasionally to prevent sticking and burning.
• Turn off the heat; garnish Semiya Upma with fried cashew nuts. Serve warm, enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips:-
I have used thick semiya here and I added 1:2 water, If you are using thin semiya/ Vermicelli, adjust the water quantity according to your semiya/vermicelli’s size and quality.
For this recipe, you can add some extra vegetable like carrot, beans etc. along with Onion.