Semiya/Vermaceli Paayasam is an authentic dessert in South India.It is an unavoidable dish in Onam and Vishu Sadya, Keralites/Malayalees Feasts. In my home this dessert is the most favorable so I prepared it occasionally. From my experience, preparation of Semiya/vermaceli Paayasam is easier than Kerala Ada Pradhaman. In kerala, hindhu marriages and onam, vishu celebrations semiya payasam serve in banana leaf after the yummy sadya (vegetarian treat). They use hands and mash payasam with pazham and pappad and enjoy as much as they could 🙂 . Hmmm…It tastes awesome 😀 and I too love that combo very much. Here you can see that love through my pictures, how I love kerala, kerala food and customs 🙂
|Recipe Type||Dessert/South India|
|Serve To||3 to 4|
|Cooking Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
Ingredients For Semiya/Vermaceli Payasam
|Vermicelli / Semiya||1 cup||Broken into small pieces|
|Sago Pearls (Chauwari)||1/4 cup|
|Sugar||1 cup||As per your taste|
|Cows Milk||3 Cups|
|Coconut Milk||1 Cup||Thick|
|Water||1 1/2 Cups|
|Cashew Nuts||10 Pieces|
|Cardamom (Elakka)||4 to 5 Numbers||Crushed|
Method Semiya/Vermaceli Paayasam
1. Wash sago pearls and boil with 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of water and 1 spoon sugar in a sauce pan. Boil and Stir continuously to prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pan. cook until the pearls become translucent and keep aside.
2.Heat one tablespoon of ghee in a thick bottomed pan (like small urulli), fry cashew nuts and raisins till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
3. Add remaining ghee in the same pan.Roast the vermicelli until golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
4. Heat cow’s milk and remaining water in the same pan and boil. When boiled, reduce the heat and add remaining sugar. Mix well.
5. Add roasted vermicelli in the boiling milk.
6. Stir with a spatula or big spoon continuously (Make sure it doesn’t stick at the bottom of the pan).
7. When vermicelli well cooked, add cooked sago and stir continuously.
8. Add crushed cardamom. Mix well.
9. when all mixed well, reduce the heat and add coconut milk. Mix well.
10. Add a pinch salt for taste, combine well. Taste paayasam, add sugar if need.Then turn off the heat(Don’t boil the Paayasam too long).
11. Garnish with fried cashew nuts and raisins. Our Yummy creamy Payasam is ready 😀
12. Serve hot or chilled with pazham and pappad. Enjoy 🙂