Kerala Ada Pradhaman/ Ada Payasam is a prime and premium dessert of Thiruvonnam, Kerala Feast. The word “Pradhaman” means “The first or Number One of many. Yes! it is the first or number one dessert compared to other desserts of Kerala. Here I try to share with you Kerala Ada Pradhaman’s easy and simple version. I know most of my followers and friends are very tired in this onam season with lots of work. My experience before, cooking process of ada is very challenging and painful. It was painful because sometimes ada is not cooked evenly, it sticks to one another etc..etc .then using my Einstein brain 😉 I thought to myself why not cook ada like pasta. Then why not pressure cook it instead of pan cook? Yes friends..I did! it is successful and turn out very well. You can see that success in my Ada Pradhaman’s methods and Pictures. 🙂 In this recipe I used white Jaggery/sharkkara instead of dark, it gives your Ada Pradhaman beautiful light brown colour but similar kerala Naadan/traditional taste.In my home, all members love light and white colour payasams 🙂 You can choose your own desirable jaggery and colour:-)
Try it and enjoy the same experience and satisfaction that I have been through in presenting this kerala recipe to you. Happy Onam All 🙂 Enjoy, collect and treasure your sweet Onam memories with Ada Pradhaman 🙂
|Recipe Type||Dessert/Kerala/Onam Recipe|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||8 to 10|
Ingredients For Kerala Ada Pradhaman/Ada Payasam
|Rice Ada||200g||If it is nail size cut into small pieces with your hand|
|Sago pearls/ Chauwari/ Sabudana||50g||Optional|
|Water||For Pressure Cook Ada||Approximately 3 cups|
|Oil||2 Tablespoon||For Pressure cook Ada|
|Salt||2 to 3 Pinches||For Cook Ada|
|Thin Coconut Milk||3 Cups||(Refer method)|
|Thick Coconut Milk||1 Cup|
|Fresh Milk (Cow’s)||1/2 Cup||For Cook Sago|
|Water||½ Cup||For Cook Sago|
|Jaggery/Sharkkara||400g||Broken into small pieces(Adjust as per your taste)|
|Water||½ Cup||For Melt Jaggery|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon||For cook Sago|
|Cardamom||5 to 6||Crushed|
|Dried Ginger Powder||½ Teaspoon||Optional|
|Thin Coconut Slices (Thenga kothu)||100gm|
|Ghee||5 to 6 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
Method For Kerala Ada Pradhaman/ Ada Payasam
• Place diced ada, water (required for cook ada), 2 tablespoon oil (It prevents from sticking ada each other) and 2 or 3 pinch salt in a pressure cooker. Cook until it whistle twice. When it’s cool, strain it with the help of running cold(tap) water. Drain it and keep aside.
• Boil ½ cup water in a sauce pan, add broken Jaggery. Stir and melt well. Remove from the heat for cool. When it’s cool, strain its impurities and keep aside.
• Wash sago and boil with 1/2 cup of fresh milk, 1/2 cup of water, 2 tablespoon sugar and a pinch salt in a sauce pan. Boil and Stir continuously to prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the pearls become translucent, keep aside.( Do not overcook or thicken it, when the cooling time it will be more thick)
• I used instant thick coconut milk for this recipe. For the thin coconut milk, dilute 11/2 water with 11/2 thick coconut Milk. Keep aside.
• Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a thick bottomed big pan or urulli. When it’s warm enough add cashew nuts, stir well. When it’s light brown, add raisins too. Stir together. When the cashew nuts become golden brown and the raisins are expended in size, lower the flame and remove from heat, keep aside. Add 1 tablespoon ghee in the same pan. Place thin coconut slices, stir and roast it until golden brown. Remove it from heat and keep aside.
• Place melted jaggery in the same pan, allow it boil. Add cooked and dried ada and stir continuously in a medium heat. Pour the remaining ghee and stir continuously.
• When the ada’s are well mix with jaggery syrup and ghee, pour sego milk mix. Stir continuously.
• When it starts to thicken, add thin coconut milk and stir well.
• Cook and stir it next 5 to 10 minutes. When the ada’s and sago peals well cooked and mixed with milk and jaggery mix, lower the flame and add thick coconut milk. Heat and stir 2 Minutes.(Do not Boil, It will be cuddle) Turn off the heat.
• Add crushed cardamom and dry ginger powder. Mix well.
• Your yummy Ada Pradhaman is ready! Garnish it with roasted cashew nuts, raisins and coconut slices.
• Serve hot or cold with pazham(ripe banana) and pappadam(Pappad) and enjoy 🙂
You can add fresh coconut milk for this recipe, it gives you better taste and fragrant.
In this recipe I add white jaggery, it gives your Pradhaman/Payasam light brown colour