Cheru Payar Parippu Payasam/pradhaman (Split Green Gram Dessert) is tasty and healthy Kerala dessert. Normally we prepared this dish for Onam/Vishu (Kerala Feasts) celebrations. In Singapore, we celebrate Onam/Vishu/Christmas every year with my close malayalee friends and family. This year we already celebrated Vishu with a great and delicious Sadya (Kealalities vegetarian meal).This recipe was also part of that great Vishu Sadya and the Cheru Payar Parippu Pasyasam/Pradhaman (Split Green Gram Dessert) and its recipe was shared to me by my sweet friend and elder sister Deepa chechi. She is a wonderful cook, great poet, designer, a good artist, mom entrepreneur and a great person with a childlike heart. Thanks chechi for your wonderful Cheru Payar Payasam/pradhaman (Split Green Gram Dessert) and recipe.:-) and thanks my dear friends and families for your great support, love and inspiration. Here is the awesome recipe , try and enjoy your Vishu with lots of sweet moments. Happy and Prosperous Vishu to all 🙂
|Cooking and preparation time||20 to 30 minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Cheru Payar Parippu Payasam/Pradhaman
|Split Green Gram/Cheru Payar/split moong daal||½ Cup||Skinless|
|Jagerry||¾ Cup||Change as per your taste|
|Ghee||3 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Cashew Nuts||10 Numbers||For garnishing|
|Raisins||10 Numbers||For Garnishing|
|Cardamom||3 to 4||crushed|
|Thick Coconut Milk (Onaam Paal)||1 Cup|
|Light Coconut Milk (randaam paal)||1 Cup|
|Fresh Milk (cow’s milk)||1 Cup|
|Salt||A pinch||For taste|
|Coconut pieces||2 tablespoon||For Garnishing|
|Water||for cooking Split Green Gram and Melting Jaggery|
Method For Cheru Payar Parippu Payasam/Pradhaman
• Heat a saucepan with jaggary and water (not much) for melting. Boil and saute until all jaggery pieces melt well. Remove from heat and keep it few minutes for cooling purpose. Strain its impurities, keep aside.
• Heat a frying pan.Add split green gram and roast until golden brown.Keep aside for cool.
• When cool, wash and pressure cook with required water(for cook split green gram). Turn off the pressure cooker after the first whistle and leave it to release pressure.
• Heat 2 tablespoon ghee in a thick bottom pan (urully). Fry cashew nuts, raisins and coconut pieces accordingly. Keep aside.
• Add cooked split green gram (with water) and jaggery mix in the same pan, saute few minutes and mix well. Add remaining ghee and saute continuously.
• When all ingredients are well mixed, add light coconut milk (Onaam Paal) and stir well.
• When it started to boil add fresh milk. Stir continuously.
• Add cardamom powder and a pinch salt for taste and good aroma. Stir well.
• When it’s boiled with bubble, low the heat and add thick coconut milk. Mix well, just heat Payasam for few minutes(once you add thick coconut milk, do not boil payasam. It will be curdle) and turn off the heat.
• Garnish Cheru Payar Payasam/Pradhaman with fried cashew nuts, raisins and coconut pieces.
• Serve hot or cold with pappadam and pazham.Enjoy the sweet dessert 🙂
Cheru Payar Parippu Payasam/pradhaman (Split Green Gram Dessert/ Moong Daal Kheer) will thicken its resting time.
You can find More Onam/Vishu recipes HERE
Thanks Rani…Happy Vishu to u and ur family…….Payasam kandu kotiyakunnu….yummy… Pappadam koodi ulla pic undenkil kollamayirinnu…
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks a lot dear.pappadam aduthu undu pakshe highlight cheythilla 🙂 Vishu Ashamsakal to you and your sweet family 🙂
Thanks Rani for the Recipe of Cherupayar Payasam…
I already knew how to make this Cherupayar payasam but I was stuck with a doubt in it. Is it fair adding Cow’s milk in it ? I heard people saying…” pashuvin paalu pirinjupokum ” since we make the payasam with Jaggery.
Rani Vijoo says
Hi George, with my short experience in cooking I have not noticed any such bad incidents 😉 Most of the time I prepared my payasam’s with fresh cow’s milk and coconut milk. I learned it from my mother in law. She is a good ” ada Pradhaman maker”. Normally I used melted jaggery in water and lighten its strong taste. Thanks for your comment and support 🙂 Happy Vishu 🙂
Andrew George says
Looks very tasty and yammeee… keep on posting…
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Andrew for your great words….Happy Vishu 🙂
Deepa pradip says
Thank you for posting the recipe of my cherupayar payasam..Im glad to know that everybody loved it..
Happy vishu to you n your sweet family.
Rani Vijoo says
Dear Deepa Chechiii, Thanks…once again for your awesome payasam and recipe and thanks a lot for your great support and love 🙂 Happy Vishu to you and your wonderful family!