Parippu Curry (Split green gram/ Moong Dal Curry) is a tasty and healthy south Indian delicacy. It has a main part in Kerala Onam / Vishu Sadya (Kerala Traditional Feasts). “ Parippu and Pappad “ are always everyone’s favourable pair side dish especially for kids. It is very easy and simple recipe yet very healthy and tasty. In this recipe I used homemade roasted cumin seed powder. It gives a special taste and aroma. Try this simple Kerala Parippu Curry with pappad and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||15 to 20 Minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Parippu Curry
|Cheru Payar Parippu/ Moong dal/ Green gram||150 Gram||Split and skinless|
|Grated Coconut||100 Gram||Fresh|
|Green Chilly||2 or 3||Diced||For grinding|
|Shallots/Small Onion||2||Diced||For grinding|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
Ingredients For Garnishing Parippu Curry
|Coconut Oil/ Ghee||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small Onions||3 Numbers||Chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Cloves||Chopped Finely(Optional)|
|Red Dry Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut into small|
|Red chilly Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
Method For Parippu Curry
• Roast cleaned and dried dal in a medium heat. When it is light golden colour, turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• When it is cool, add required water and salt. Pressure cook until the cooker whistles twice. Turn off the heat and leave it cool for pressure to release.
• Place coconut, green chilly, small onions, turmeric powder, and cumin seed powder in a grinder or food processor. Add little water, grind and make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
• Heat the dal again in a medium heat. Add ground coconut paste in it and mix well.
• When it is mixed and heated well, taste it and add salt if required. Turn off the heat and keep aside.( Do not boil the gravy too much)
• Heat oil/ghee in a frying pan. Pop Mustard seeds.
• Add chopped onions, garlic, diced dry chilly and curry leaves. Fry until golden and crispy.
• Reduce the flame and add ¼ teaspoon chilly powder in it and saute. Turn off the heat immediately ( otherwise chilly powder will burn). Pour the fried mix over to Parippu Curry and mix well.
• Serve hot or cool with boiled rice and pappad. Enjoy 🙂