Cherupayar Mathanga Erissery (Green Gram Pumpkin Curry Kerala Style) is a healthy, mild sweet and less spicy curry. This tasty vegetarian treat also an essential part of Kerala Onam and Vishu Sadya. In Kerala, this curry can be served on banana leaves as a side dish (dry or semi watery texture). In my home, everyone especially my kids love this curry with boiled rice and pappad so sometimes I prepare it as a main dish (watery curry) too. We can prepare Pumpkin Erissery (Kerala Pumpkin Curry) in different ways such as alone with pumpkin or Pumpkin with red beans (recipe already in my website) or pumpkin with cow peas or pumpkin with green gram etc. also we can add vegetables like unripe Kerala banana, yam etc. Here is the recipe with pumpkin and green gram, hope it is a good help for you during this Vishu season and my advance Vishu greetings to all 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala/ Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Cherupayar Mathanga Erisseri (Green Gram Pumpkin Curry Kerala Style)
|Green Gram/Cheru Payar/Moong Dal||½ Cup||Soak overnight or at least 4 hours|
|Yellow Pumpkin/Mathanga||2 Cups||Skinned and Cubed evenly|
|Fresh Coconut||¾ Cup|
|Green Chili||2 Numbers|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||¾ Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Coconut oil/Any Veg oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Urud Dal/black Gram||¼ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/small onion||3 numbers||Chopped finely|
|Garlic||1 Fat Clove||Skinned and Chopped finely(Optional)|
|Dry Red Chili||2 Numbers||Cut into small|
|Curry leaves||Hand full|
Method For Cherupayar Mathanga Erisseri (Green Gram Pumpkin Curry Kerala Style)
• In a pressure cooker place green gram (soaked and washed) and water (for cook green gram). Close and cook until the pressure cooker whistles 3 times. Keep aside for release its pressure.
• In a blender jar (small jar) place coconut, green chili, turmeric, roasted cumin seed powders and water (not much just 2 to 3 table spoon). Blend and make a smooth ground paste.
• Add the ground paste, cubed pumpkin, water (for gravy, you can use the water from washed blender/grinder (arappu vellam)) and salt into the cooked green gram.
• Close and heat again until the pressure cooker whistles once. When the pressure release, open the lid and mix. Taste it and add salt if needed.
• In a frying pan, heat oil and pop mustard seeds. Add Urdu daal, shallots, garlic, dry chilly and curry leaves accordingly. Fry until golden brown.
• Pour it over the curry/Erisseri. Mix and serve with hot boiled rice. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips
In addition to this recipe, you can add 1 or 2 table spoon grated coconut in the tempering part.
Add and adjust water as per your desirable gravy, it will be thicken its resting time.
Adding garlic is optional. I learned that habit from my mom, it is a healthy choice and prevents gastric problems.
You can add cumin/Jeera seeds instead of cumin powder for the ground paste but roasted cumin seed powder gives your curry a special taste and aroma.