Pumpkin with Red beans curry or Pumpkin Errisseri is a traditional Kerala side dish. It is an essential part of Onam/Vishu Sadya, Keralities Vegetarian Feasts. Pumpkin Errisseri (Pumpkin and Red beans Curry) is a combination of pumpkin, red beans (red cow peas) and coconut with spices ground paste. It is a healthy recipe because this dish includes a great portion of pumpkin and it has lots of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamins B, vitamin C and vitamin E, which is sufficient for complete vitamin requirement of your body. Yeah! Pumpkin is a storehouse of vitamins! So have more pumpkins to supplement vitamin deficiencies and it ensure good health for your eyes and heart. It gives some anti-diabetic effects for your body, eliminates constipation, cleanses your liver, kidney and stomach, relieves from insomnia etc. Dear girls do you know one thing? Pumpkins are good for your skin too. If you use pumpkin packs for your face, it gives you a flawless skin because it contains vitamin E and antioxidants and they are great ingredient for your skin. Guys, so next time get a pumpkin facial or have pumpkin soup daily to get that natural glow in your skin. Hmmmmm…..I have started to eat pumpkin daily. No doubt! 🙂
Oh I forgot! Actually, we are talking about “Pumpkin Errisseri” 😉 but I am now standing in a beauty parlour for a pumpkin facial 😉 ha ha. We will come back to the subject.Yeah! I tell you strongly Pumpkin Errisseri is very healthy dish! because it is a combination of healthy ‘red beans’(red cow peas) too and it also contains appreciable amount of vitamins, iron, folic acid, calcium, omega fatty acids,fiber, magnesium,zink,copper, potassium, phosphorus, protein and energy. Red beans are a healthy alternative to meat too. Wow! This small nano bean is a healthy treasure! 🙂 So my dear friends please includes more red beans in your daily meal. The regular consumption of red beans keeps your body healthy and strong. You can make it in a various dishes like red bean stir fry, red bean curry, red bean soup, red bean desserts and Pumpkin and Red bean Errisseri etc.
Normally I prepare this Pumpkin Errisseri (Pumpkin and Red beans Curry) for Onam/Vishu recipes but after the healthy and nutritional tips from my research I have decided to consume Pumpkin Errisseri at least once a week. My kids and hubby also agree with that healthy tasty dish too. The highlight of this Pumpkin Errisseri (Pumpkin and Red beans Curry) it”s garnishing and is prepared with fried grated coconut in coconut oil. It gives a special taste and aroma. Here is the healthy and tasty recipe for “Pumpkin Errisseri” (Pumpkin and Red beans curry). Try it, live beautiful and healthy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to 7 to 8|
Ingredients For Pumpkin Errisseri
|Yellow Pumpkins||300 Gram||Cleaned and Diced (Medium Size)|
|Red Beans/ Red Cow Peas||100 Gram||Soak overnight or pressure cook for two whistles.|
|Grated Coconut||100 Gram||For grinding purpose|
|Green chilly||3||cut into lengthwise|
|Shallots/Small Onions||2 Numbers||diced|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chilly Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
|Water||As per required|
Ingredients For Garnishing Pumpkin Errisseri
|Coconut Oil||1 Table Spoon||Change As per Your Taste|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Shallots/Small Onions||3 numbers||Chopped Finely|
|Red Dry Chilly/ Vattal Mullaku||3 Numbers||cut into small pieces|
|Grated Coconut||2 Tablespoon|
Method For Pumpkin Errisseri
• Grind Grated coconut, chilly powder, roasted cumin powder and diced small onions and make a smooth paste form. Keep aside.
• Pressure cook cooked or overnight soaked red beans and diced pumpkins with turmeric powder, sliced chilly, water ( approximately 2 to 2 1/4 cups water) and salt as per required.
• When it whistles two times turn off the heat and keep aside for to release its pressure.
• When the pressure is released, heat again in a medium heat and add coconut spices ground paste. Mix well and add water if it is too thick. When its heat turn off the fire (Do not boil the gravy). Keep aside.
• Heat oil in a frying pan. Pop mustard seeds.
• When it is popped add chopped small onions, dry chilly pieces and curry leaves. Fry well.
• When it is golden brown add grated coconuts for garnishing and fry well.
• When the coconut turn to golden brown, turn off the heat.
• Garnish it over the pumpkin, red beans and coconut gravy.
• Healthy and tasty Pumpkin Errisseri (Pumpkin and Red beans Curry) is ready!
• Serve hot or cold with boiled rice or Chappathi.Enjoy!
You can find more Onam/Vishu recipes here