Beans Mezhukkupuratti /Beans Poriyal/ Beans Stir Fry is an authentic and tasty vegetable preparation from Kerala, India. The highlight of this recipe is its aromatic flavor of coconut oil, spicy taste of chilli flakes & garlic and the crunchy texture of roasted coconut bits. Normally in Kerala they used long beans/ achinga payar for this recipe. Here I used French beans instead of long beans, it turned out very well and tastes awesome. This simple side dish is a great recipe for your Onam/Vishu sadya (keralites Feasts) as well as lunch box menu.
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/ Kerala (India)|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Beans Mezhukkupuratti with thenga kothu (French Beans Stir Fry Kerala Style)
|French Beans||200g||Cut into lengthwise|
|Coconut Oil/ Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 to 3 Fat Cloves||Chopped Finely|
|Big Onion/ Savola||1 Medium Size||Sliced Finely|
|Coconut Bits/Thega kothu||3 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Red Chilli Flakes||1 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Beans Mezhukkupuratti with thenga kothu (French Beans Stir Fry Kerala Style)
• Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Pop mustard seeds.
• Add coconut slices/ thenga kothu. Sauté until light brown.
• Add garlic, sauté 1 minute.
• Add onion and curry leaves, sauté until soft and light brown.
• Add beans, sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
• Add Chilli flakes.
• Add turmeric powder.
• Add salt to taste. Sauté 1 minute and combine well.
• Close and cook next 15 to 20 minutes in a low-medium flame. Uncover and stir occasionally to prevent burning.
• When vegetables become soft and cooked well, uncover the pan taste it add salt if required. Increase the flame, sauté and fry beans until light brown in colour.
• Remove from heat, serve with boiled rice or chappathi. Here is my yummy platter with boiled rice, beans stir fry, spicy fish curry and parippu (Yellow moong dal) curry 😀 . It is a heavenly combo for me 🙂
Notes and Tips
I used coconut oil for this recipe, it gives you a special aroma and taste.
Choose young and fresh beans for this recipe.
Try to cut/slice beans in an even pieces for this recipe.
If you feel the vegetables is very dry and need water, sprinkle some water in its cooking time. Do not add more water for this recipe, it will overcook vegetables and lost its crunchy texture and taste.