Ayala porichathundu karimeen varuthathundu,
Kudampuliyittu vecha nalla chemmeen curryundu,
Thumpa poo niramulla cherumanni chorunde,
Uppilitta maangayundu unnaan vaa machunane …ting ting ..ting ting.. 😉 😀
This famous Malayalam movie song always makes every keralites/malayalees’s mouth full of water and flavours of Kerala. Recently, I watched a Malayalam movie (Movie’s name is Two Countries) comedy clip in Facebook posted by one of my friend. It is really humorous clip but bit touching from another perspective. The scene is like that, the famous Kerala comedy actor Suraj Venjaramoodu eating a burger with the help of this flavorful music clip and starving Dileep (hero of the movie) is drawn by listening to this song, hoping for some Kerala food. After watching that clip, I just scroll down and read the comments that were posted by some immigrants. Some are really touching and some are very positive and funny like that “ bhaayii njagallum evideyum thumpapoo choru thaneya undaaki thinanne with ayala fry and kodampully meen curry…” (Brother, we also prepare and eat Kerala food here too) ha ha… that is the real spirit and lovely comment 😀 with out any regrets. So visit your nearby market soon, buy some fresh mackerel, take some, make a mouth-watering ayala Curry and fry the remains 😀 Here is the fish fry recipe and my Kerala style delicious lunch platter with thumpa poo choru 😉 (boiled rice), Kudam puli etta ayila curry (Kerala style Mackerel Fish Curry with Gambooge(cambogia)/ pot tamarind/ Malabar tamarind ), Cheru Payar Mathanga Erissery (Green Gram Pumpkin Curry) and Ayala Varuthathu (Mackerel Fish Fry) 🙂
|Recipe Type||Sea food/side Dish/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparing Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Ayala/Mackerel Fish Fry
|Ayala/Mackerel Fish or Same kind of any fish||7 Numbers(Medium size)||Cut and Cleaned(with head or without)|
|Black Pepper Seeds||1 teaspoon||To Grind|
|Ginger||1 inch root||Skinned and diced(To Grind)|
|Garlic||2 (Fat)||Skinned and Diced(To Grind)|
|Shallots/Small Onion||3 Numbers||Skinned and Diced(To Grind)|
|Curry Leaves||A handful||To Grind|
|Chilli Powder||1 Tablespoon||adjust as per your taste|
|Coriander powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Meat(Irachi) Masala/ Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Lime Juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Coconut Oil or Any Veg Oil||For Deep Fry Fish|
Method Ayala/Mackerel Fish Fry
• Place cleaned mackerel/ ayala fish in a mixing bowl, using a sharp knife make some slits in both sides.
• In a mixer jar (small), place ingredients to grind. Grind and make a paste form.
• Add the grind paste, spices and salt over the fish.
• Mix and marinate altogether. Make sure that the ground paste well covered with each fish well.
• Keep marinated fish aside for 30 to 45 minutes.
• Heat oil in a frying pan. When oil is heat enough for frying, add them one by one.
• Fry until both sides are looks crispy and golden brown.
• Remove fish fries from heat and place on the kitchen tissue/towels for removing its excess oil.
• Serve hot with boiled rice or as per your taste. Enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
Adjust spices as per your taste.