Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti/ Spicy Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry is a tasty traditional preparation from Kerala,India. Like Spicy Potato Stir fry (Urulla kizhaghu Mezhukku puratti), this dish is also my all time favorite from childhood. It goes well with hot boiled rice or porridge.
Jack fruit contains plenty of fiber, vitamins and minerals etc. Now days we know the health benefits of jack fruit and its seeds so try to consume it when available. Here is the typical Kerala recipe, make a try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala/ Spicy Vegetarian Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||45 to 1 hr|
|Serve To||2 to 3|
Ingredients For Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti/ Spicy Jack Fruit seeds Stir Fry Kerala Style
|Jack fruit seeds/Chakkakuru||2 cups||Clean and Dice Evenly(Refer Notes)|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Shallot/Kochulli||4 to 5||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||2 Fat Cloves||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Ginger||A Small Piece||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Curry Leaves||A Hand Full|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||1 Teaspoon||For Cooking Jack Fruit Seeds|
|Pepper Powder||¼ Teaspoon||For Cooking Jack Fruit Seeds|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Teaspoon||For Cooking Jack Fruit seeds|
|Coconut Oil/Any Veg Oil||1 Teaspoon||For Cooking Jack Fruit Seeds|
|Water||For Cooking Jack Fruit Seeds|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||½ Teaspoon||Extra|
|Pepper Powder||A Pinch||Extra|
|Coconut Oil/Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
Method For Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti/ Spicy Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry Kerala Style
• In a non-stick pan, place diced Jack fruit seeds, water, 1 teaspoon chilly powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon pepper powder, ½ teaspoon oil, few curry leaves and salt for taste. Cover and cook until the seeds soft and dry. Keep aside.
• Heat 2 Tablespoon oil in a frying pan, pop mustard seeds. Add ginger, garlic, shallots and curry leaves. Sauté until golden brown.
• Add cooked jack fruit seeds, sauté few minutes in a medium heat. Add ½ teaspoon extra chilly powder, a pinch pepper powder and salt (if needed). Sauté and fry it until light brown in color.
• Our delicious Chakkakkuru mezhukkupuratti / Jack fruit Seeds Stir fry is ready. Serve hot with boiled rice or porridge. Enjoy!
Notes and Tips
• Adjust spices as per your taste.
• Try to use coconut oil for the typical Kerala taste.
• How to clean jack fruit seeds:- Separate the seeds from fruit and wash. Spread them on a paper or flat plate. Sun dry them. Remove the outer white layer and soak the seeds in warm water for 30 minutes. Remove the brown thinner skin using a knife or scrapper. Wash the peeled seeds and slice evenly.
- For more Kerala recipes, please click HERE.