Red Spinach Stir Fry (Chumappu Cheera Vevichathu/ Red Cheera Mezhukkupuratti) is a healthy and nutritious vegetarian side dish from Kerala, India. Red Spinach contains lots of vitamin, iron, protein, fat, potassium and magnesium etc. so regular consumption of red spinach/ Chumappu Cheera helps in digestion, smooth kidney function, anaemia, strengthens hair roots; improves your eye sight etc.
In Kerala, Red Spinach (Chumappu Cheera) can be found in the backyard of most homes. They grow it in an organic way and prepare it fresh from the kitchen garden. Here in Singapore, we get it from the vegetable shops in little India. This is one of favourite dish for my hubby and kids, so I try to prepare it often with shallots/ kochully and less spice. Here is the simple recipe, try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Veg Side Dish/ Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||15 Minutes|
Ingredients For Red Spinach Stir Fry Kerala Style
|Red Spinach/ Chumappu Cheera||A medium Bunch|
|Small Onion||10 to 15 Numbers||Chopped|
|Coconut oil/Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||¼ teaspoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Red Spinach Stir Fry Kerala Style
• Cut and remove root from Red Spinach and wash well in running water. Make sure its dirt (sand) are removed and leaves are dry completely.
• Chop its stem into small size and leaves bigger in size (Leaf cook very fast). Keep aside.
• Heat oil in a wide pan.
• Pop mustard seeds.
• Add shallots (kochully), stir until light brown.
• Add chopped stem, stir for a few minutes.
• When the stem part become soft, add chopped leaves. Stir few minutes in a medium heat. Cook them until soft. (Do not cover and over cook spinach , it will lose its colour and nutrition)
• Increase the flame, add chilli powder, sauté well .
• Add salt and mix well.
• Turn off the heat, serve healthy and vegan red spinach stir fry with boiled rice or chapathi. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply