Kerala Banana Chips (Ethakka/Nenthrakka Upperi(ഏത്തക്ക/നേന്ത്രക്കാ ഉപ്പേരി)) is a tasty and crispy snack. It has an essential part of onam/Vishu Sadya, keralites Vegetarian Feasts. Homemade banana chips are very healthy snack for your kids. Try this easy and tasty traditional Kerala snack recipe and enjoy:-)
|Cooking and Preparation Time||15 to 20 minutes|
Ingredients For Kerala Banana Chips(Ethakka/Nethrakka Upperi)
|Green Banana/ Ethakka/Nenthrakka||3 Numbers (1kg)||Skinned and Peeled(Use matured banana)|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Tablespoon|
|Water||4 to 5 Teaspoon|
|Oil||For Deep Fry|
Method For Kerala Banana Chips (Ethakka/Nethrakka Upperi)
• Place water, turmeric powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix well and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a big thick bottomed Pan.
• Oil is warm enough, slice banana thinly (with the help of slicer) direct into the oil carefully.
• When it’s slightly cooked, sprinkle some turmeric mix in it. Stir well.
• Fry them until crispy and light.
• Remove it from oil and drain in a tissue paper.
• When dry, spread them on a flat surface over the kitchen tissue again. (It helps to remove any excess oil)
• When cooled, Keep and store in an air-tight container.
• Use as per your need and enjoy 🙂
You can fry almost 4 to 5 batches chips according to this recipe. Do not add too much banana slices in one batch, it will stick and break up
Using coconut oil is enhancing to its taste and fragrant but it is optional.
you can use an another method also for this recipe, First slice and collect all banana in a mixer bowl, add salt and turmeric, sprinkle bit water and mix well. Spread and dry(individually,without touching each other) it on a dry cloth on a flat surface for 15 minutes. When its dry, heat the oil and fry them until crispy and light.Personally,the former process is okay for me, anyone really concern about hot oil and its splutter please try this method