Vattayappam is a tasty and healthy traditional sweet snack (Naadan Palahaaram) from god’s own county Kerala, India. It is an integral part of Kerala Christian festivals like Christmas and Easter. Kerala Vattayappam is a steamed rice sponge cake /snack with rice flour, sugar, coconut, yeast, cardamom, ghee, cashew nuts and raisins. In Kerala, most of the vattayappam’s looks plane and pale 😉 🙂 So here I present with you a ROYAL version of vattayappam 😉 because in my home, all of us love the taste of roasted steamed nuts and raisins in the vattayappam’s. In this recipe,I steamed a perfect vattayappam with the help of a rice cooker(use steam mode). Hope this simple and ROYAL vattayappam recipe help all of us :-). Recollecting KPAC Lalitha chechi’s ( A famous malayalam actress) words in the malayalam movie ‘manassinakkare’ here ; “eppozhum ee bakery items maathram kazhikathe vellapozhegillum ee naadan palahaargaloke onu undakki thinu ente pillere 😉 :-)” (Eat traditional home cook food/snacks at least once in a while 🙂 ) Here is the recipe try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Sweet Snack/Kerala|
|Cooking and preparation Time||45 Minutes|
|Fermentation Time For Batter||2 to 3 hours|
|Serve to||2 to 3|
Ingredients For Vattayappam (A Traditional Kerala (India) Steamed Sweet Snack)
|Roasted Rice Powder||1cup|
|Grated coconut||1 cup||Fresh|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||A Pinch||Optional|
|Rava/semolina||1 1/2 Table spoon|
|Sugar||1/4 to 1/2 Cup||Adjust as per your taste|
|Water||3/4 to 1 Cup|
|Instant Yeast||1/4 tea spoon||Use active yeast|
|Sugar||1/4 teaspoon spoon||For rising Yeast|
|Cardamom||2 or 3 numbers||Crushed|
|Ghee||1 Table Spoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Cashew Nuts and Raisins||A hand full||For garnishing (Optional)|
Method for Vattayappam (A Traditional Kerala (India) Steamed Sweet Snack)
• Place 1/2 cup of water and 1 1/2 table spoons of Rava/ semolina in a saucepan .Cook next 1 to 2 minutes; make a soft and light creamy form. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
• Place 3 table spoon lukewarm water, 1/4 tea spoon yeast, 1/4 tea spoon sugar in a bowl. Keep aside and allow it to rise for few minutes. ( If it is not risen, the yeast may not be active. We need an appropriate risen yeast mixture for this recipe)
• Grind coconut with a pinch cumin seed powder and enough water, make a smooth form. Keep aside.
• Place 1 cup rice flour and rava/semolina mixture in a mixing bowl, use your hands and mix well. Add yeast mixture, grated coconut mixture accordingly and combine well. Make sure the batter is not too watery. We need a thick/medium consistency (similar to idly batter). Cover and keep in a room temperature for next 2 to 3 hours for rising purpose.
• When it is risen, add 1/4 cup sugar, crushed cardamom and a pinch of salt. Mix and combine well.
• Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a frying pan, add cashew nuts and raisins. Roast until golden brown. Keep aside.
• Grease oil/ghee in a cake tin or a round flatted pan. Pour batter 3/4 full. Spread roasted cashew nuts and raisins. Steam for next 15 to 20 minutes (I used rice cooker for steaming vattayappam. You can use pressure cooker or Idly steamer).
• Serve cool with tea or coffee and enjoy 🙂
Idly Shape Vattayappam
We can prepare Kerala Vattayappam in Idly moulds too. It is a favorite snack for my kids in their snack box. Sometimes I prepare it for vijoo as a break fast and sent kids as a snack.That morning rush these idly shaped healthy vattayappam helps me more 🙂 Not only that, if we have any functions, parties or picnics these idly shape vattayappam is very helpful to make and easy to serve.Here is the method, try and experience the change 🙂
• Grease oil/ghee on the idly plates. Add a big spoon full ground batter on the idly plates and arrange fried cashew nuts and raisins as per your taste.
• Heat idly vessels with water (for steaming).
• Place Idly plates in the vessel.
• Cover and cook for next 15 to 20 minutes.
• Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• Uncover the vessel, remove idly shape vattayappam from the plates with a help of a spoon.
• Our Idly shape Vattayappam’s are ready! They are perfect with hot tea or coffee. That’s my taste bud 🙂 Enjoy!