Madakkappam or madakku San is a tasty tea snack or breakfast from Kerala, India. It is a thin and soft crepes filled with sweet jaggery coconut mixture. It also called love letter and Mutta Maida Appam.
Back home, my school and college days this is one of my favourite nalumanni palahaaram (evening snack) with tea and it was really filling treat for my hungry and starved stomach. Now days my kids also love this nadan palaharam (typical kerala sweet snack) like their mama 🙂 so I used to prepare this sweet love letters for them occasionally and always their reply were ‘simply awesome’ 😀 make a try and enjoy 🙂
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Pan Cake Batter
|Maida / Plain Flour/ All Purpose Flour||2 cups|
|Fresh Milk||½ cup|
|Sugar||2 to 3 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Ghee/Butter||For Greasing Purpose|
Ingredients For Coconut Jaggery Fillings
|Coconut||1 ½ Cup||Adjust as per your taste|
|Sugar/ Broken Jaggery||5 to 6 tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Cardamom Powder||½ Teaspoon|
Method For Madakkappam/ Kerala Style Pan cake with coconut Jaggery filling.
• In a Mixing Bowl, add flour, egg, 2 tablespoon sugar and a pinch salt, mix well. Add milk and water slowly, mix and make a thin batter without lumps. Keep aside.
• Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan. Add coconut, cardamom and jaggery , saute until jaggery well melt. Keep aside for cool.
• Heat a thava or dosa pan, grease some ghee or butter.
• Pour 1 full scoop batter, make a flat crepe or pancake.
• When one side is done, flip and cook other side.
• Place some coconut mix in the central of the pan cake. (refer method picture)
• Fold and remove madakkappam from the pan carefully. Do the process until all batter and coconut jaggery mixture done. Serve hot or warm and enjoy 🙂
Share the post "Madakkappam/ Kerala Style Pan cake with coconut Jaggery filling"
Soma Saharay says
This is lovely…. tasted once at a Keralite friend’s place…