Biryani/Biriyani is a tasty and an aromatic main course rice dish from South Asia. For my experience, Biriyani/Biryani has an unique taste according to their own culture and nature of a pariticular place and people. Here I am introducing “Kerala Style Fried Chicken Biriyani” or “Kerala Restaurant Style Chicken Biriyani” which I have always tried, tested and tasted in my Singapore kitchen. 😀 Yeah! it is my family’s favourite biriyani recipe, hope you all also like and enjoy it as much as we do. 🙂 The making and the preperation is long but trust me! the result will be rich and excellent!
|Recipe Type||Main Course/ Kerala (India)|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes|
|Serves||5 to 6|
Ingredients For Marinating
|Chicken||1 Kg||Cut into medium/big Pieces|
|Ginger and Garlic Paste||1 tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red (Kashmiri) Chili Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Meat/ Garam Masala Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Thick Yogurt||5 Tablespoon|
|Oil||shallow Fry Chicken|
Ingredients For Chicken Gravy/Chicken Curry
|Coconut Oil||2 to 3 Tablespoon|
|Big Onion/Savola||6 medium||Skinned and Sliced Thinly|
|Curry leaves||2 Sprig|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Green Chili||2 to 3||Crushed|
|Chilli (Kashmiri) Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Meat/ Garam Masala||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 Big or 2 Small||Chopped Finely|
|Fresh Mint Leaves||½ Cup or a hand full|
|Coriander Leaves||1/2Cup or a hand full|
Ingredients For Rice
|Ginger garlic Paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Cloves||5 to 6 Numbers|
|Cinnamon||2 Inch Stick||Cut into small|
|Bay Leaves||2 to 3|
|Fennel Seeds||2 Pinches|
|Black Pepper Seeds||5 to 6|
|Basmati Rice||4 Cups|
|Hot Water||7 ½ to 8 Cups|
|Fresh lemon Juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Saffron||2 Pinches||Soak in one Tablespoon warm Milk (Optional)|
|Salt||to taste (Rice)|
Ingredients for garnishing
|Cashew Nuts||10 to 15 Numbers|
|Raisins||10 to 15 numbers|
|Onion||1 medium size||Skinned and slice very thinly|
|Ghee||For fry cashew nuts||raisins and Onion|
|Chopped Coriander leaves||Few|
|Ghee (Extra)||To Sprinkle Rice|
Method For Chicken Marinate and shallow Fry
• Marinate Chicken with ingredients for marinating, refrigerate 30 to 1 hour.
• In a frying pan, heat oil for fry chicken. Shallow fry the pre marinated chicken and keep a side.
Method For Chicken Curry
• Heat 3 tablespoon coconut oil in a wide pan.
• Add sliced onion, curry leaves and a pinch salt (it helps to fry onion easily), stir until light brown.
• Add ginger garlic paste and crushed green chili, sauté next one minute. Add spices for gravy (Chili (Kashmiri) Powder-1 Tablespoon, Coriander Powder-1 tablespoon, Meat/ Garam Masala- 1 Tablespoon, Turmeric Powder-½ Teaspoon), Sauté until its raw smell is gone.
• Add tomato, sauté until it becomes soft.
• Add chopped mint and coriander leaves. Sauté and mix well.
• Add water for gravy, allow it to boil.
• Add shallow fried chicken pieces; make sure all pieces are well covered with gravy.
• Close and cook (medium heat) curry next 10 to 15 minutes.
• Uncover the pan, taste the curry and add salt if required. Cook the curry until the gravy thickens.
• When gravy thickens or your desired texture, turn off the heat and garnish with some chopped coriander leaves.
Method For Rice
• Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes, drain and keep aside to dry completely .
• Heat 1 tablespoon Ghee in a wide pan. Add cashew nuts, fry until light brown then add raisins. When cashew nuts look golden brown, leave both cashew nuts and raisins from the ghee. Keep aside. Add 1 tablespoon ghee again, fry thinly sliced onion until golden and crispy. Keep aside.
• In the same pan add 2 tablespoon ghee, Fry ginger garlic paste (for rice), whole Indian spices for rice (Cloves- 5 to 6 Numbers, Cardamom-5 Numbers, Cinnamon- 2 Inch Stick (Cut into small), Bay Leaves- 2 to 3, Fennel Seeds- 2 Pinches, Black Pepper Seeds-5 to 6). Add drained rice; roast/fry 2 to 3 minutes or until it starts cracking.
• Add water and salt, close and cook rice. Reduce the flame when its start boiling.
• Cook till the rice is done and water is completely dry. Sprinkle lemon juice and saffron with milk.
• With help of fork mix the rice gently. Keep aside.
method For Layering Chicken Biriyani/ Dum Biriyani
• Place a thick bottom pan on the stove top in a lower flame.
• Place rice, fried ingredients (nuts, raisins, onion), Chicken pieces with gravy, coriander and mint leaves and ghee by layer by layer (recommend more layers, like 4 to 5). Close with a heavy/ air tight. Also place a heavy weighted pot/thing over the lid for its tightness. Cook next 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, keep aside a while for setting. Serve with yogurt salad, pappad and lemon pickle.
• Also you can use a simple and easy layered method like me 🙂
• Take a medium size round bowl.
• Grease some ghee.
• Place some cooked hot basmati rice.
• Sprinkle some fried cashew nuts, raisins, onions and fresh mint and coriander leaves.
• Place 1 or 2 chicken pieces with gravy.
• Again add some hot basmati rice. Press well with a spoon or spatula.
• Place serving plate on top of the bowl and flip.
• Take the bowl slowly from the plate.
• Garnish with some fried cashew nuts, raisins, onions and fresh mint and coriander leaves.
• Our yummy and aromatic Kerala Chicken Biriyani is ready! Serve it with yogurt salad/raita, pappadam and lemon pickle. Enjoy 🙂
Tips and Notes
Try to use coconut oil and fresh/homemade meat masla powder for the authentic taste and aroma.
Adjust quantity of ghee according to your taste.