Hi friends how do you do? I have not posted quite some time! I know Christmas is around the corner and all are busy to celebrate Xmas with family and friends. Did you hang Xmas stars at home? Display and decorate your Christmas tree? Have you soaked dry fruits and nuts for Xmas Fruit/Plum Cake? I did all and I hope you did that too 🙂
Here in Singapore, schools are closed after a tiring year and my kids are celebrating their holidays with the season of joy. So now days I am spending more time for them, especially in the kitchen to increase the quality of their joy and happiness and try to experiment more dishes desired by my kids. This Kerala style pepper chicken is one of the recipes from that list. When we were holidaying in Kerala, my kids love to order this tasty and spicy pepper chicken roast/fry with Porota/Prata or Chappathi from Kerala restaurants. Now days they started to ask me “Mummy enu dinner nu chappathi and pepper chicken mathi” (Mom, today we want chappathi and pepper chicken) and after that they complimented “ethu annu nattil kazhicha pole undu” (it feels like we ate like from Kerala restaurant) 🙂 Yeah! That’s a great achievement for me because they always remember my mother land Kerala through its authentic tastes 🙂 also a great inspiration for Kerala home cooking moms staying abroad like me 🙂
Pepper chicken is a great recipe for parties and festivals and I think after reading my post and recipe some of you will try this simple recipe for this Christmas season 🙂 It is a great combination with chappathi, also edivettu (excellent) combo with boiled rice and rasam or moru 😀 Try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Non Veg Side Dish/ Kerala (Kerala)|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 40 minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients Pepper Chicken (Boneless) Fry Kerala(Indian) Style/ Pepper Chicken Roast
|Chicken (Boneless and Skinless)||500g||Cut into small cube size piece|
|Fresh Pepper Powder||½ teaspoon||For marinating|
|Lemon Juice||1 Teaspoon||For Marinating|
|Coconut Oil||3 tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon||Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon||Chopped Finely|
|Onion/Savola||3 Medium||Sliced Thinly|
|Green Chili||2 Numbers||Slit into lengthwise|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig|
|Crushed Fresh Black Pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Fresh Meat Masala/Garam Masala/homemade Irachi Masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Soya Sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Crushed Black Pepper||¼ Teaspoon (Extra)||For Garnishing|
|Curry leaves||1 Sprig (Extra)||For Garnishing|
|Coconut Oil||1 Teaspoon (Extra)||For Garnishing|
method For Pepper Chicken (Boneless) Fry Kerala(Indian) Style/ Pepper Chicken Roast
• Marinate Chicken pieces with pepper (to marinating), lemon juice and salt for chicken.
• Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion, green chili and curry leaves, and fry until light brown. Add chopped ginger and garlic; stir until onion becomes golden brown.
• Low the flame, add 1 teaspoon crushed pepper, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala. Mix well and stir until its raw smell disappears.
• Add 1 Teaspoon tomato sauce and 1 tablespoon Soya sauce, mix well.
• Add ¼ cup water to the spices and sauces, mix well and allow boiling.
• Add marinated chicken pieces and mix well until all pieces well coated with gravy.
• When chicken pieces starts to change in color, add ½ cup water. Mix well and allow it to boil in a low-medium heat. Taste and add salt if needed. (Refer notes)
• When the chicken is done and gravy is thickening, sprinkle extra pepper powder, curry leaves.
• Sprinkle some coconut oil; roast/fry the chicken pieces with the gravy until dry in texture.
• Turn off the heat and Keep Pepper chicken fry for 30 to 1 hour for setting purpose.
• Re heat and serve hot with boiled rice and rasam or moru curry, that is my taste bud 😉 😀 It also great combo with chappathi, kerala Porota/ Prata, appam etc.
Notes and Tips
Add salt carefully,soya sauce contains salt flavour.
Try to use coconut oil and fresh crushed pepper for authentic kerala taste.
For this recipe, I used boneless chicken (Breast Part) pieces. You can use chicken pieces with bone too.