Just back from my hometown Kerala, after a short vacation. The trip was very short but I did so many things from my wish list 🙂 Yeah! It gives me some fresh memories with endless satisfaction. As usual I enjoyed a lot of my home town’s nature, neighborhood church bells chiming, my own room’s (which I lived 22 years) comfort and feel, my parents care and love, sister’s pamper, nephew’s and niece’s freedom, old school mate’s jocks 😀 etc. etc. above all this I enjoyed much my mom’s tasty meals with lots of love and care. Whenever I am in India I love to eat my mom’s seafood preparations like konju (Prawns) Etta avial/ Theeyal, Njandu (Crab) Curry, Thenga aracha meen curry etc. I have already mentioned that in my many recipes she is an excellent seafood cook. Yeah! I am a big fan of her fish curry especially thenga aracha meen curry with small fish.
From my childhood my dad prefers small fish than big fish which are caught from backwater or river. He used to say always that kind of fish have more healthy benefits and medicinal value. Following that practice I too am a big fan of small fish curry or fry. Sadly I can’t enjoy here in Singapore that kind of practice so I try to utilize maximum in my each India trip with full satisfaction and most of the time I gain some 😀 I don’t know why? The food tastes different and superb with my mom’s magic touch as well as the freshness of organic ingredients. Yum! I can empty the whole clay pot still I would crave for more 😀 Here I would like to share with you a clip that I shot from my mom’s kitchen. I am sure that it would tempt you to prepare this curry soon 😉 😀 Make a try and enjoy!
|Recipe Type||Kerala Seafood Recipes|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Ground Paste
|Coconut Oil||3 Table spoon|
|Small Onion||2 Numbers||Chopped Finely|
|Green Chilly||4 Numbers||Slit into two|
|Ginger||A Small Piece||Skinned and chopped finely|
|Malabar Tamarind /Kudampuli||4 pieces||washed and soaked|
|Water||2 Cups (Approximately)|
|Salt||As per your Taste|
Ingredients for Coconut Ground Paste
|Fresh Grated coconut||1 Cup|
|Chilly Powder||2 table spoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Small Onion||3 Numbers|
Method For Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Ground Paste
• Cut and clean fish, keep aside.
• Place ingredients for coconut ground paste in a mixer/blender jar.
• Grind with little water and make a smooth paste form, keep aside.
• Heat oil in a clay pot or nonstick pan.
• Add small onion, green chilly, ginger and curry leaves. Sauté until golden brown.
• Add coconut ground paste, Sauté next 1 to 2 minutes.
• Add soaked kudampuli (Malabar Tamarind), 2 cups water and salt to taste Mix well and allow to boil.
• When boiled, add fish pieces. Close and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until its done.
• Turn off the heat sprinkle some coconut oil and add few curry leaves. Keep few minutes for setting.
• Serve hot or warm with boiled rice or kappa puzhukku (tapioca). Enjoy!