Crab Masala Roast / Masala Crab Roast (Njandu Masala purattiyathu) is a tasty and exceptional seafood delicacy of Kerala, India. This dish is also very popular in Kerala’s toddy shops (kallu shaapu ) like other dishes such as Spicy Red Fish Curry, Fish Fry, Kappa , and Prawns Masala etc.. In my magic kitchen you can smell that Crab/Njandu Masala Roast’s aroma frequently 🙂 because I am the crazy fan of that awesome Kerala Magic dish from my child hood. Normally my mom cooks crab with coconut gravy that tastes also great but have more process. In this recipe I add coconut oil and fresh Kerala spice powders for the authentic taste.
The heavenly taste of crab’s essence and Kerala spices tantalise my taste buds always so I am ready to enjoy this dish any time anywhere even though it is challenging to my teeth and hands 🙂 yes! It tastes awesome! Try this tasty Kerala Style Crab Masala Roast recipe and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala/Seafood Spicy|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
Ingredients For Crab Masala Roast/ Masala Crab Roast (Njandu Masala purattiyathu)
|Crab/ Njandu||2 Numbers ( Medium Size)||Cut and Cleaned|
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Ginger||1 Inch Root||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||2 or 3 Cloves||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Big Onion||1 Big Size||Skinned and Diced Finely|
|Green Chilly||2 Numbers||Slit into lengthwise|
|Tomato||1 medium Size||Diced into Finley|
|Tamarind||1 Gooseberry Size|
|Chilly Powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Homemade Meat spices/Garam Masala Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Teaspoon|
|Coriander Leaves||Few||For garnishing Purpose|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Crab Masala Roast/ Masala Crab Roast (Njandu Masala purattiyathu)
• Place tamarind in a ¼ cup of water. Squeeze, strain and keep juice aside.
• Place all the spices in a bowl and add 2 tablespoon water. Mix and make a paste and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a thick bottomed non- stick pan or mannchatti. Place chopped garlic and ginger, stir well.
• when fried well, add onion, green chilly and curry leaves. Stir until golden brown.
• Add spice paste and roast until its raw smell dis appears.
• Add tomato and stir well.
• Add tamarind juice and salt, stir and mix well. Make thick gravy and allow it to boil.
• When boiled, place crab pieces.
• Cover and cook in a medium heat for the next 10 minutes. That time you can see more juice/water release from the crab.
• Uncover the pan, mix and make sure the gravy well covers all crab pieces.
• Cover it again and cook for the next 5 minutes.
• Uncover and cook till gravy thickens.
• Turn off the heat and garnish Crab Masala Roast with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with hot boiled rice or kappa and enjoy 🙂
Using shallots instead of big onion, enhance your Crab Masala Roast gravy’s taste and texture
There is sufficient water in the crab for this recipe so no need to add extra/more water
Try to use fresh crabs and fresh spices powders in this recipe