In Singapore chilly crab and pepper crab are very popular delicacies and we enjoy them often from local seafood restaurants. Vijoo and I love the flavor of pepper crab’s spicy taste but my kids love sweet flavor of chilly crab.In that complicated situation, I decided to make a new recipe at home for both parties and I named it “Sweet and Sour Pepper Crab” 😉 😀 . It turned out well and the sweet, juicy and spicy recipe goes well with boiled rice and Chinese style vegetable.
|Recipe Type||Seafood/main Course/ Chinese Style|
|Cooking and preparation Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
Ingredients For Sweet and Sour Pepper Crab
|Crab||3 Medium Size (I used Flower Crab)||Cleaned|
|Any Veg Oil/Sesame Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 inch root||Skinned and Sliced|
|Garlic||3 Fat cloves||Skinned and Sliced|
|Onion||1 Medium Size||Peeled and Diced|
|Thai Red Chilly/Chilly Paddy||2 Numbers||Diced (Refer Notes)|
|Soya Sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Oyster Sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Chili Sauce (Red)||1 tablespoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Powder (Extra)||¼ Teaspoon||For garnishing|
|Chopped Spring onion||1 tablespoon||For garnishing|
|Chopped Coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon||for garnishing|
|Water||For Cook Crab||approximately ¾ Cup|
|Salt||As per Taste|
Method For Sweet and Sour Pepper Crab
• Heat oil in a deep pan or Chinese wok.
• Add garlic, ginger and red chilli.Sauté 1 minute in a high flame.
• Add diced onion, capsicum and tomato,sauté next 1 minute.
• Lower the flame, add sauces and pepper.Sauté and mix well.
• Add water and salt (Add salt carefully,soya sauce contains salt flavor). Allow it to boil.
• Add cleaned crab pieces, mix and combine well. Make sure the gravy combines well the crab pieces.
• Reduce the heat to medium. Cover the wok with a heavy lid and cook until the crab, turns red or done and gravy thickens.
• Turn off the heat and garnish with extra pepper, some coriander leaves and spring onions (if you have, for this recipe I didn’t use them because it wasn’t available in my vegetable basket 😉 🙂 ).
• Close and keep aside crab curry for minimum 1 hour for setting.
• Reheat the crab; serve with hot boiled rice and Chinese style vegetable.You can serve them with fried rice and noodles too. Enjoy 🙂
For this recipe I used red thai chilli, it is very spicy and hot. If you don’t like too spicy taste, adjust the quantity or use normal green chilli.