Spicy Prawn Roast is a typical Kerala Style seafood delicacy. It is also very popular in Kerala toddy shop’s (kallu shaap) menu. If you cook and eat it once, your tongue will never forget the spicy aromatic taste. That is the magical touch and speciality of Kerala seafood cuisine and its preparation. 🙂
In my home I always prepare Prawns/Chemmeen Masala Roast. Here I would like to share with you my mom’s Prawns Roast recipe and style. She is an expert in Kerala seafood delicacies which I have mentioned before in my crab roast, fish curry, prawn with vegetables post etc. Here is her Prawn Roast preparation style and instructions. Make a try and enjoy the original Kerala taste 🙂
If anyone like to read my malayalm writing for Prawn Roast, please click HERE 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala Seafood/ Spicy|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 40 Minutes|
|Serve to||3to 4|
Ingredients For Spicy Prawn Roast Kerala Style
|Tiger Prawn (with Skin)||500g||Cleaned ( I remove its head and keep the tail)|
|Shallots/Small Onion||15 Numbers||Peeled and chopped finely|
|Green chilly||5 to 6 numbers (Adjust as per your taste)||cut into length wise|
|Ginger||2 Inch Fat Root||peeled and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||5 Fat Cloves||Peeled and chopped finely|
|Chilly Powder||2 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Coriander Powder||1 tablespoon|
|Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Meat masala powder||1 teaspoon||Try to use fresh homemade powder (click and read recipe)|
|Roasted Cumin Seed||2 Pinches|
|Tamarind Juice (thick)||3 to 4 Table spoon|
|Coconut Oil||4 to 5 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Spicy Prawn Roast Kerala Style
• Place all ingredients except coconut oil in a clay pot or non-stick pan.
• Close and cook it in a medium flame for next 10 to 15 minutes.
• Uncover and cook again until the gravy thickens and all prawns are well covered with the gravy.
• Increase the flame, drip coconut oil occasionally and fry the prawns with gravy.
• When the prawns are well fried and coated with masala (you can feel a heavenly aroma), turn off the heat and garnish some curry leaves.
• Keep Spicy Prawn roast(room temperature), next 1 hour for setting.
• Reheat and serve with boiled rice, kappa, chappathi etc. Enjoy 🙂
It is a spicy dish and preparation, you can adjust the spices and oil as per your taste.
For Spicy Prawn Roast recipe in Malayalam please click HERE
For more seafood recipes please click HERE
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Swapana 🙂
Easy to make and very delicious!
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Krishna for your wonderful feedback 🙂