Prawn Masala Roast(Chemmen Masala Roast) is one of the favorite delicacies in Indian cuisine. It can be cooked in different ways. Here I am introducing to you Prawn Masala Roast(Chemmen Masala Roast) in dry and bit spicy texture. I am trying to prepare similar recipe used in the Kerala toddy shop style. Its a bit spicy but very tasty. I believe this tasty dish depends on its quantity and quality of its ground spices. In this recipe we can use Kashmiri chilly powder because it gives a spectacular color and mildly spicy. At the same time you can try to use homemade garam masala powder or meat masala spices powder, crushed or powdered fresh black pepper and coconut oil for the ground Prawn gravy. It gives your Prawn masala an original taste and aroma.Here is the traditional seafood delicacy prawn Masala( Chemmeen Masala) recipe try it and enjoy 🙂
|Side Dish/ Spicy
|Cooking and preparation time
|20 to 30 minutes
|5 to 6
Ingredients For Prawn Masala Roast / Chemmeen Masala Roast (Prawn / Shrimp Dry textured Curry)
|Peeled and cleaned
|Adjust as per your taste
|Shallots/ Small Onions
|2 or 3
|Cut into lengthwise
|2 inch route
|5 to 6 Cloves
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder
|Adjust as per your taste
|Meat masala Spices Powder /Erachi masala podi
|Soak gooseberry size tamarind in two or three tablespoon water.Strain it and keep aside.
Method For Prawn Masala Roast / Chemmeen Masala Roast (Prawn / Shrimp Dry textured Curry)
• Heat oil in a woke or deep frying pan.
• Add crushed ginger and garlic paste, sauté well.
• When it’s fried well, add diced onions, green chilly and few curry leaves, saute well.
•The onions turn soft and golden brown, add diced tomatoes and saute.
• When tomato is cooked and turns soft, add chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and meat Masala spices powder and fry well.
• When the spices are roasted well, add tamarind pulp and salt as per your taste.
• Add prawns and mix well. Cover the pan and cook for next 3 minutes.
• Uncover the pan.If you can see some liquid in the gravy that from prawns you don’t need to add extra water for the prawns Masala. If it is very dry and if you need more gravy form add some water as per your taste.
• Cook the uncovered Prawn Masala next 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle crushed pepper and some coconut oil. Mix and stir until the gravy roast and dry in texture. Taste it and add salt if required.
• When the gravy is well thicken and roast in texture, turn off the heat and garnish with curry leaves.
• Serve prawn Masala Roast with boiled rice or Kappa or chappathi or appam and enjoy.
Serve prawn Masala few hours after cooking. It tastes better and prawns would have absorbed masala’s well
Heat and stir Prawn Masala before serving
Do not over cook prawns, it will be rubbery in texture