Squid/Calamari (Kannava/Koonthal masala Ularthu) is a tasty and spicy seafood delicacy from our gods’ own country Kerala, India. You can prepare squid masala in different style. Here I like to introduce to you a spicy and dry preparation of squid; it goes well with boiled rice or chappathi. In this recipe I have added some fried coconut slices for a typical Kerala taste. Make and try this aromatic spicy seafood delicacy and enjoy 🙂
|Kerala/ Seafood/ Spicy
|Cooking and Preparation Time
|20 to 30 Minutes
|2 to 3
Ingredients For Squid/ Calamari Masala Kerala Style (Naadan Kannava/Koonthal Masala Ularthu)
|Squid/ Calamari/ Kannava/ Koonthal
|Cleaned and Cut into small pieces
|Coconut Oil/ Any Veg Oil
|Ginger Garlic Paste
|Try to use crushed paste form
|Small Onion/ Shallots/ Kochulli
|Peeled and sliced
|Slit into lengthwise
|2 to 3 Springs
|1 ½ Tablespoon
|Adjust as per your taste
|Black pepper Powder
|Indian Spices mix Powder/ Erachi masala Podi
|Try to use homemade and fresh powder
|From 1 Gooseberry size tamarind
|sock in ¼ cup water. Strain and use its juice
|Thin Coconut Slices
|For frying coconut slices
|As per your taste
Method For Squid/ Calamari Masala Kerala Style (naadan Kannava/Koonthal Masala Ularthu)
• Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai. Add ginger garlic paste, sauté until light brown.
• Add Onion, green chilly and few curry leaves, sauté until soft and light brown in colour.
• Add all the spice powders, sauté until its raw smell goes.
• Add squid pieces; stir 1 minute in a medium heat.
• Add tomato, stir until soft.
• Add tamarind juice.
• Add salt for taste, mix well.
• Cover the pan and cook squid masala for next 5 minutes.
• Heat 1 tablespoon oil in another frying pan. Add coconut slices, fry until golden brown.
• Uncover squid masala pan, add fried coconut slices over it. Combine and stir well.
• When it’s dry in texture, turn off the heat and garnish it with some curry leaves.
• Keep Squid/ Calamari Masala (room temperature), next 1 hour for setting.
• Reheat and serve with boiled rice, kappa, chappathi etc. Enjoy 🙂
Do not overcook squid, it will be rubbery in texture
No need to add water for this recipe, the squid will release juice during its cooking.
You can find More seafood recipes HERE