Kannava/Koonthal Varuthathu (Squid/Calamari Fry) is a tasty and tempting recipe from Kerala, India. It is an easy and tasty starter/ appetizer/ finger food, well goes with hot drinks/ beverages 🙂 that feedback and appreciation I got from my Hubby 😉 😀 also a great side dish with meals, Yeah! My kids love this aromatic fried squid rings with boiled rice and Sambar 🙂 try the experience yourself too and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala/ Seafood starter/Seafood Side dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 45 Minutes|
|Marinating time||15 to 30 minutes|
Ingredients For Kannava/Koonthal Varuthathu(Squid/Calamari Fry Kerala Style)
|Squid/Calamari/Kannava/Koonthal||500g||Cleaned and cut into rings or Cubes|
|Ginger||1 Inch root||Skinned and Diced|
|Garlic||3 Fat Cloves||Skinned and Diced|
|Shallot||3 Numbers||Skinned and Diced|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig|
|Chili Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Pepper Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Garam Masala/ All Spice Powder/Irachi Masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Plain Flour/Maida||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice Flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Lime Juice||1 tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Oil||For deep Fry||I used Coconut Oil|
Method For Kannava/Koonthal Varuthathu (Squid/Calamari Fry Kerala Style)
• Place ginger, garlic, shallots and curry leaves in a blender, grind and make a coarse Paste.
• In a mixing bowl, place squid, ground paste, spices powders , flours, lime juice and salt. Mix well.
• Keep aside 15 to 30 minutes for marinating purpose.
• Heat oil in a frying pan.
• Place marinated squid with masala.
• Fry until crispy and golden brown.
• Serve immediately and enjoy 🙂