|Recipe Type||Seafood Side dish/Spicy/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||30 to 40 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Neymeen Mulakittathu (Spicy King Fish Curry Kerala Style)
|King Fish/Ney meen or any firm fish Pieces||500g||Cleaned and Cut into Small-Medium Pieces|
|Coconut Oil||2 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Ginger||2 inch root||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||3 Fat Cloves||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Shallots||5 to 6||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Green Chili||2 Numbers||Slit into two|
|Curry Leaves||A hand full|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||2 tablespoon||Refer Notes|
|Fenugreek Powder||¼ Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||½ tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Malabar/Fish Tamarind (Kudampuli)||3 pieces||Cleaned and soaked|
|Water||1 ½ Cup or as per your taste|
|Coconut Oil||1 Teaspoon (Extra)||For garnishing|
Method For Ney Meen Mulakittathu (Spicy King Fish Curry Kerala Style)
• Heat oil in a clay pot. Pop mustard seeds. Add ginger, garlic, shallots, green chili and curry leaves. Sauté until onion become golden brown.
• Lower the flame, add spice powders. Sauté until its row smell disappears.
• Add water and salt, mix well.
• Add soaked Fish tamarind (cut into small). Allow to boil.
• Add fish pieces.
• Make sure fish pieces are well dipped in the gravy.
• Close and cook fish curry in low-medium heat next 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and rotate the curry pot occasionally to prevent burning. (Don’t stir the curry with spoon. It will break up the fish pieces, just take the pan and rotate slowly)
• When the gravy slightly thickens, turn off the heat sprinkle some coconut oil and garnish with fresh curry leaves.
• Keep fish curry few minutes for setting, serve with kappa or boiled rice and enjoy!
Tips and Notes
Here I prepared Fish Curry in a watery form and spicy. It suits well with Kappa. You can make a thick and dry form also by adjusting the water.
For this recipe I used fresh chilly powder from kerala prepared by my mom. It is a combination (1:1 ratio) of piriyan mullakku (spice less chilly) and Normal Chilly (saada Mullakku) so it is spice less and colorful.You can add Kashmiri chilli powder also for the same effect.
It tastes better in next day. Refregerate, reheat and use
Wow.. nice recipe..you are a good photographer too..