Chettinad is a region of the Sivaganga district of southern Tamil Nadu state, India. Chettinad cuisine is well renowned delicacy in all over the world and they use variety of spices and masala’s in their vegetarian and non-vegetarian preparations. In Singapore, we have number of Chettinad restaurants and we family members love the taste of Chettinad style meat and seafood dishes. This tasty and flavourful fish fry is one among that and I prepared occasionally in my home. Normally I use King/Seer fish (Ney/vanjara Meen) for this recipe, it tastes delicious and super yummy 🙂 Make a try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||South India / Seafood Side dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Chettinad Fish Fry (Seer Fish/Ney meen/King Fish Fry)
|Seer Fish/King Fish/ Ney Meen/ Vanjara Meen||4 Steaks||Cleaned|
|Ginger||1 inch Fat Root||Skinned and Diced|
|Garlic||3 fat Cloves||Skinned and Diced|
|Shallots/Small Onion||5 to 6||Skinned and Diced|
|Black Pepper Seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds/Jeera||1 Teaspoon|
|Fennel Seeds/ Perum Jeerakam||1 Teaspoon|
|Red Chilli Powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Curry Leaves||one hand full|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Oil||For Deep Frying|
|Lime Juice||From Half Lime|
|Big Onion||1 small||Sliced thinly (For garnishing Purpose)|
|Lime Wedge||For garnishing|
Method For For Chettinad Fish Fry (Seer Fish/Ney meen/King Fish Fry)
• In a mixer Jar (small Jar) place diced ginger, garlic, shallots/ small onion, Black Pepper Seeds, Cumin Seeds, and Fennel Seeds. Grind and make a crushed form.
• Add chili, coriander, turmeric, ½ lime juice, curry leaves and salt to taste. Grind again and make a smooth form.
• In a mixing bowl, place fish fillets and ground paste. Mix and marinate well.
• Keep refrigerate marinated fish fillets 4 to 5 hours.
• Heat oil in a frying pan. when hot enough for frying, place fish fillet and fry until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
• Serve hot with onion slices and lime wedge. Enjoy 🙂
Note and Tips
You can use any firm fish for this recipe.
Adjust spices as per your taste.
Keep and refrigerate marinated fish longer and then fry, it will give your fish fry tastier.