In Kerala, Chicken fry is very popular in all restaurants especially in thattu kadaa’s (Kerala street food stalls). Here I am try to introduce to you that kerala thattu kada style recipe and preparation. In my home I always try and test these kinds of typical cookery experiments 😉 and most of the time with the grace of god, I get a good and successful result. 🙂 Here is the evidence of my experiment. Take a look, make an experiment and enjoy like me 🙂
|Recipe Type||Kerala/Spicy/Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||15 Minutes|
|Resting Time||3 hours (At least)|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Kerala Thattukada style Kozhi Porichathu / Kerala Street Food Stall Style Chicken Fry
|Chicken thigh||4 (medium size)||With or without Skin|
|Ginger (Fat)||2 Inch Root||Skinned and crushed|
|Garlic (Fat)||4 Cloves||Skinned and Crushed|
|Shallots/Small Onions||4 to5 Numbers||Skinned and crushed|
|Red Chilly Powder||1 1/2 Tablespoon||Try to use Kashmiri chilly powder for a better colour and less spice flavor.|
|Coriander Powder||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Meat Masala/Indian Spices Mix Powder (Erachi masala podi)||1 Tablespoon||Click and read the recipe.|
|Plain Flower||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Rice Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|lemon Juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
|Curry leaves||5 to 6 leaves(to grind)|
|Curry Leaves||Few for Fry (Optional)|
|Oil||For Deep Fry Chicken Pieces||Try to use coconut oil For the typical taste and aroma.|
Method For Kerala Thattukada style Kozhi Porichathu / Kerala Street Food Stall Style Chicken Fry
• Using a sharp knife, make 2 or 3 slits on both sides of each chicken pieces.Keep aside.
• In a mixer Jar (small), place ginger, garlic, shallot(small Onion) and few curry leaves. Grind and make paste.
• In a mixing bowl, add ground paste, all the spices, rice and plain powders, lemon juice and salt. Mix and make a thick form.
• Place the chicken pieces in it, marinate well. Make sure each chicken piece well covered with masala paste.
• Place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
• Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
• Place marinated chicken pieces one by one and fry them in a medium heat.
• Add/Sprinkle some curry leaves in the hot oil along with chicken pieces.
• When the chicken pieces are well cooked and both sides are looks crispy and golden in colour remove it from oil with curry leaves and place on kitchen towel/tissue to remove excess oil.
• Serve hot and garnish with crispy curry leaves and enjoy 🙂
This spicy and juicy chicken delicacy is a perfect and heavenly combo with Kerala Perotta or chappathi or boiled rice.
You can use any part of chicken pieces for this recipe.
You can adjust the spices quantity as per your taste.