Quail Egg (kaada Mutta) is a very healthy and tasty delicacy in many parts of the world. In kerala (India) it is very popular. You know guys, this small egg contains appreciable amount of vitamins and minerals. That is three times more than normal chicken egg. You can find some information here. We can prepare many tasty recipes with quail eggs (Kaada Mutta). Here I would like to share a simple and tasty quail egg (Kaada Mutta) recipe with shallots, chilly flakes and tamarind juice. It is a good finger food or starter as well as a perfect side dish for chappathi or appam. Here is the simple recipe, make a try and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Finger Food/ Side Dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||10 to 15 minutes|
|Serve to||2 or 3|
method For Quail Egg Roast (Boiled Quail Eggs in Shallots, Chilly flakes and Tamarind)
|Quail Eggs||15 to 18|
|Oil||1 ½ Table spoon|
|Shallots/ Pearl Onions (Kochully)||100g||Peeled and diced|
|Chilly Flakes||1 Table spoon||Refer Notes|
|Tamarind Juice||1 Table spoon||Thick|
|Salt||As per required|
|Water||For Hard Boiling Quail eggs|
Method For Quail Egg Roast (Boiled Quail Eggs in Shallots, Chilly flakes and Tamarind)
• Hard boil quail eggs in a sauce pan with sufficient water (eggs must be covered with water) and ¼ teaspoon salt.
• Boil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
• When cooled, remove its shell. (It is really challenging for me 😉 but quite interesting too 🙂 ). Keep aside.
• Place diced shallots in a mortar and pestle or a food processor.
• Grind and make a smashed form. Keep aside.
• Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add smashed shallots and sauté well.
• When golden brown, lower the flame and add 1 table spoon chilly flakes. Sauté well.
• When it’s well mixed with shallots, add 1 table spoon tamarind juice. Mix well and add a pinch salt for gravy.
• When it’s well mixed, add boiled quail eggs and stir continuously.
• The eggs are well covered with the dry gravy, turn off the heat.
• Taste and add salt, if required. Serve hot and enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips:
You can use 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon chilly powder instead of 1 tablespoon chilly flakes but chilly flakes gives you a special and different taste.You can prepare your own chilly flakes in your home, it is very simple process. You can find the recipe HERE
Remove the egg shell, when well cooled. Otherwise it will be damage during peeling
Linsy Patel says
nice looking egg dish
Have never tried it…Very new to me..I’m sure they taste great:)
Egg curry looks delicious
New and unique..should be as normal eggs or its different… ?Looks tempting:-)
Beulah Arun says
This looks like a delicious egg curry! Never tried quail eggs, should try sometime.
Very Nice Rani
Rani Vijoo says
thanks Chechi 🙂