Beef ularthu is a tasty and spicy traditional recipe from Kerala, India. It is an indispensable dish for Kerala Christians. The Malayalam word “Ularthu”means “stir fry”. It is a stir fry of beef with variety of Indian spices, coconut oil, coconut slices and a plenty of curry leaves. Beef Ularthu is my all time favorite Kerala dish ,the aroma and flavors always brings me to my mom’s kitchen in Kerala so I love to cook this dish often in my Singapore kitchen 🙂 . Here is my way of preparation, make a try and enjoy the original taste of Kerala. Enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Non Veg Recipes/ Kerala (India)|
|Cooking and preparation Time||approximately 1 hour|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For marinating Beef
|Beef||500g||Cleaned and diced into small (Choose fat less Beef)|
|Shallots/Small Onion||250g||skinned and chopped finely|
|Ginger||2 inch root||Skinned and chopped finely|
|Garlic||4 fat cloves||Skinned and chopped finely|
|Green Chilly||1 Number||Chopped finely|
|Red Chilly Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 ½ Tablespoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Meat spice Powder/Irachi masala podi||1 teaspoon||Try to use home made Powder|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Salt||As per your Taste|
|Cooking Vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
Ingredients For Beef Stir Fry
|Mustard Seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coconut Oil||3 to 4 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Curry leaves||Hand full|
|Dry Red Chilly||3 Numbers||cut into small|
|Coconut Slices/ Thenga Kothu||4 table spoon (Adjust as per your taste)|
|Crushed or Powdered Black Pepper (extra)||1 Teaspoon||Try to use Fresh powder|
|Meat spice Powder/Irachi masala podi (extra)||½ teaspoon|
Method For Beef Ularthu (Beef Stir Fry Kerala Style)
- Place all ingredients for marinating beef in a non-stick pan, mix well and keep aside for next 30 minutes.
- When marinated well, add ½ cup water and cook (in a medium heat) until beef pieces becomes soft and dry. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a wide non-stick pan. Pop mustard seeds and add curry leaves, red chilly. Stir1 minute.
- Add coconut slices, stir until golden brown.
- Add cooked beef, stir continuously in a medium heat. When it looks dry in texture, add extra black pepper and meat masala powder, stir well. Sprinkle remain coconut oil and give it a good stir.
- When the beef pieces become fry in texture and black in color, turn off the heat. Our Beef Ularthu is ready! Serve hot with rice, chappathi, parata, appam, kappa etc. and enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips:
You can also use pressure cooker for cooking beef. Pressure cooked beef produce more water, For this recipe we need a dry textured cooked beef for its stirring part so cook and dry it before its stirring.
Try to use home made meat spices powder, for its recipe please click HERE.
You can find more beef recipes HERE. For Beef Cutlets please click HERE and for Kerala Beef Curry please click HERE.
Delicious great recipe.
Rani Vijoo says
Thanks Swathi 🙂
Hi! Nice recipe.
What cut of beef do you buy? Do you but it from Fairprice?
Rani Vijoo says
Normally I buy fresh and fatless beef from wet market(Singapore) and also sometimes I choose fresh beef/meat from fairprice/cold storage/giant/sheng siong super markets (Singapore). Most of the time the butcher help me to cut/piece meat and fish items in my desirable way. Thank You!