Meen Manga Peera Pattichathu /മീൻ മാങ്ങാ പീര (fish and raw mango with crushed coconut and spices) is a traditional Kerala fish delicacy. In this recipe we can use any small fish. Netholy or Chuda or anchovies is the best fish for this recipe. Raw mango orkudam pulli (gambooge) also an important ingredient for this recipe. In Kerala, the preparation of crushed coconut and spices are done with grinding stone (Arakallu). Here I used mortar and pestle instead of grinding stone. It gives the correct texture for Meen Peera Pattichathu. You can use grinding machine or food processor but be careful in the crushing process because in this recipe the crushed texture is very important. Try this traditional seafood delicacy and enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||15 to 20 Minutes|
|Serve to||2 to 3|
Ingredients For Meen Manga Peera Pattichathu
|Any Small Fish||250 Gram||Cut and cleaned (Remove head or use as whole)|
|Raw Mango||1 Medium Size||Skinned and Diced.|
|Grated Coconut||100 Gram|
|Shallots||5 to 6||Diced|
|Green Chilly||2 or 3||Diced|
|Ginger||2 inch Size||Diced|
|Black Pepper Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red Chilly Powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|mustard Seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Coconut Oil||1 Teaspoon||For garnishing|
|Smashed Curry Leaves||Few||For garnishing|
Method For Meen Manga Peera Pattichathu
• Take 1 teaspoon oil for garnishing in a small bowl, add few curry leaves and smashed well with your fingers.Keep aside for garnishing.
• Place shallots, ginger,garlic,green chilly and few curry leaves in a mortar and pestle or grinder . Smash and make a crushed form. keep aside.
• Place coconut and spices in the same mortar and pestle or grinder.Smash and make it a smashed form and keep aside.
• Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a clay pot (mannchatti) or a deep pan.Pop mustard seeds.
• When popped, add crushed onion, ginger, garlic and chilly mix. Saute 2 minutes.
• Add crushed coconut and spices mix. Saute one minute.
• Add water and salt as required.( Do not add much water, approximately 1 cup is enough). Leave it to boil.
• When boiled, add diced green mango and mix well.
• Add fish pieces one by one and make sure all of it dip in the gravy.
• Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
• Uncover the pan. Taste and add salt if required. Cook until the gravy thickens and dry.
• When its dry, turn off the heat and garnish with smashed curry leaves.