Nombu Kanji (Porridge with chicken and mixed vegetable) is a healthy and nutritional dish.This recipe for my Muslim friends during the fasting season of Ramadan or Ramzaan. In this period the adult Muslims sacrifice their food and water from sun rise to sun set. After the long fasting hours, they break their fast by consuming dates and nuts. When they eat and drink light meal like soups, porridge, salads etc. I think this Nombu Kanji (Porridge with chicken and mixed vegetable) is a good and healthy energizer for them because I prepare here a non-veg version of porridge. In this recipe I add basmati rice, boneless chicken, some vegetables, grated coconut, fresh milk and spices. Even non vegetarians can add boneless mutton or fish pieces instead of chicken. At the same time for vegetarians, just remove the meat items from the ingredients and add/include more vegetables as per your taste. I enjoy this awesome kanji/porridge to use jack fruit leaf spoon or plavilla spoon ( In kerala, it is a custom and practice) which is out of this world 😉 🙂 so I decide to cook it once a month subsequently. Try this simple and tasty kanji/porridge recipe and enjoy 🙂 have a blessed and a peaceful Ramadan/Ramzaan season to all 🙂
|Recipe Type||Main Dish/Porridge|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to30 Minutes|
Ingredients For Nombu Kanji (Porridge with chicken and mixed vegetable)
|Basmati Rice||200g||soaked and dried|
|Boneless Chicken||150g||Chopped finely|
|Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 big||Sliced Finely|
|Green Chilly||2||Chopped Finely|
|Ginger||2 inch root||chopped Finely|
|Garlic||2 Cloves||Chopped Finely|
|Chilly Powder||½ tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||½ Tablespoon|
|Garam Masala/Meat Masala||½ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Powder||½ teaspoon|
|Carrot||1 medium Size||Chopped Finely|
|Green peas||100 gram||You can use chopped French beans instead of green peas|
|Fresh Milk||1 Cup||You can use thin coconut milk instead of cow’s milk|
|Salt||as per your taste|
|Water||As per required|
|Chopped Coriander Leaves||Few||For Garnishing|
|Pepper Powder||A pinch||For Garnishing|
Method For Nombu Kanji (Porridge with chicken and mixed vegetable)
• Heat oil in a pressure cooker in a medium heat. Add onion, green chilly, ginger and garlic. Stir until light brown.
• Add chicken pieces and stir well.
• Lower the flame and add spices and staute 2 minutes.
• Add all vegetables and stir well.
• Add dried basmati rice and grated coconut, mix and stir well.
• Add salt and water as per required. ( It approximately 4 cups water)
• Cover it and cook until the cooker whistle thrice.
• Turn off the heat and leave it to release pressure.
• When the pressure is released well, uncover the cooker and check its water consistency. If it is very thick, add water (as per your desiring consistency) and boil it.
• Lower the flame and add fresh milk and heat 2 minutes.(Do not boil after adding milk)
• Turn off the heat, taste and add salt if required.
• Sprinkle and garnish the porridge with pepper powder and coriander leaves.
• Serve mild hot with pickles or fries and enjoy !
Nombu Kanji/Porridge normally is in a smashed texture. You can cook and smash it as per your desirable texture
You can add lentil/daal in this recipe but reduce the rice proportion
You can add/include white oats or raw oats also in this recipe