Avial is a traditional healthy dish of Kerala, India. It is a mixed vegetable delicacy with grind coconut paste, seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves. It is an essential part of Onam and Vishu Sadya, Keralite vegetarian feasts.Konju Etta Avial /Avial with Prawns ( Prawns with mixed vegetables) is an another variation of Aviyal. This recipe is very popular in certain parts of Kerala. In my home town Kollam (Kerala), it is very famous and my mom is a specialist in making Konju Etta Avial. She always cooks this dish, whenever she gets fresh prawns from market. She normally uses small sized prawns for this recipe, which gives your Avial awesome taste. Sadly, it is difficult to get that kind of prawns here in Singapore so I normally use diced big sized prawns for this recipe. That also gives you a wonderful taste. It is one of my all-time favourite Kerala dish so I cook this dish frequently in my magic kitchen. Konju Etta Avial /Avial with Prawns with hot boiled rice…Oh God! It’s always gives me a heavenly feeling. Hmm… I did not write too much here. You try and experience the original taste and feelings and convey to me your feedback. That is a correct and fair deal 🙂 Here is the recipe…
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/Kerala|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||20 to 30 Minutes|
|Serve to||4 to 5|
Ingredients For Konju Etta Avial/ Avial with Prawns (Prawns with mixed vegetables)
|Fresh Prawns/ Konju||200g||Peeled and cleaned (If it is big in size; cut and make small pieces)|
|Green Plantain/Green Raw Banana/ Pachakka||2 Numbers||Peeled and Diced Lengthwise|
|Yam/ Chena||250g||Peeled and Diced Lengthwise|
|Drum Sticks||2 Numbers||Cleaned and Cut into Lengthwise|
|Green Chilly||3 to 4||slit into lengthwise|
|Tomato||2 Medium size||Diced (Try to use unripe tomatoes)|
|Turmeric Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Red Chilly Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||As per Your Taste|
|Water||As required for cooking vegetables and prawns|
|Fresh Grated Coconut||200g|
|Fresh Curry Leaves||A hand full||For Grinding Purpose|
Ingredients For Tempting Konju Etta Avial/ Avial with Prawns (Prawns with mixed vegetables)
|Coconut Oil/ Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Shallots/small Onion||3 Numbers||Peeled and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||3 Cloves||Peeled and Chopped Finely|
|Red Dry Chilly||3 Numbers||Cut into Small Pieces|
Method For Konju Etta Avial/ Avial with Prawns (Prawns with mixed vegetables)
• Heat all diced vegetables and water (water is required for cooking vegetables) in a sauce pan or clay pot/Mann Chatti. Close and cook the vegetables in a medium heat.
• When the vegetables are half cooked, add turmeric powder, chilly powder, roasted cumin seed powder and salt as per required. Mix well, cover and cook again. Make sure the water is enough for thick gravy texture.
• When it’s cooked well, uncover the pan and add prawns. Mix well, close and allow it to cook next 2 to 3 minutes.
• Place fresh grated coconut and a hand full curry leaves in a grinder or food processor.
• Grind and make a smashed paste form. ( Do not add water )
• Add smashed coconut paste in the cooked vegetables and prawns, mix well.
• Cook next 2 minutes. ( Do not boil the coconut gravy)
• Mix well and taste it. Add salt if needed. Turn off the heat and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a frying pan, pop mustard seeds. When it’s popped well, add chopped shallots and garlic, dry red chilly and curry leaves. Fry until crispy and golden brown.
• Pour and garnish it over the Konju Etta Avial/ Avial with Prawns (Prawns with mixed vegetables). Mix well and serve hot or cold with boiled rice and enjoy 🙂