Some recipes are great with its traditional art of cooking and its ingredients aroma. This Varutharacha Erachi/Meat Curry (Beef in Roasted Coconut Gravy) is that kind of recipe and it tastes delicious. The aroma of roasted coconut ground powder, coconut oil, fried coconut bits etc. enriches the meat gravy’s or beef curry’s flavor in an awesome manner.
Back home in Kerala, this dish is a favorite recipe for all in our family. My mom used to prepare this dish on Sundays with appam or puttu because we get fresh meat on every Sundays from our neighborhood butcher. Also my mom would get more helpers in her kitchen during the long and difficult process of cutting meat, grating coconut, peeling onions, roasting coconut etc. etc. 😉 🙂 yes! It is very long and difficult task for me, especially the roasting part of coconut. Most of the time I am the lucky person to do that mission 🙁 and my mom is very strict for that 🙁 you know that! I always got scolding from her for my in proper stirring and spilling coconut around the frying pan 🙁 also she is very particular for its correct texture ,It should be crispy and not burn . Poor me 🙁 I tolerate all this to compensate with some coconut bits and later enjoy the yummy beef curry 😉 😀 Watch the video (especially the stirring part of coconut), I am still my mom’s young little girl 🙂 no more big changes 😉 😀
|Recipe Type||Kerala/Non Veg Side dish|
|Cooking and Preparation Time||45 minutes to 1 hour|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Varutharacha Beef Curry/ Beef in Roasted Coconut Gravy
|Beef||500g||Cut into small size|
|Green Chili||2||Slit into two|
|Ginger||1 tablespoon||Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||1 tablespoon||Chopped Finely|
|Big Onion/Savola||2 Medium Size||Skinned and sliced|
|Tomato||1 medium Size||Diced|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Chili Powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 ½ Tablespoon|
|Homemade meat/Irachi Masala||1 tablespoon||Click and read recipe|
|Potato||1 Big||Skinned and Diced|
|Water||1 ½ Cups|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Ingredients For Roast Coconut
|Grated Coconut||1 Cup|
|Shallots/Small Onion||2 Numbers||Chopped Finely (To roast)|
|Curry leaves||1 Spring|
|Black Pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Fennel Seed||¾ Teaspoon|
Ingredients For Tempting Beef Curry
|Coconut Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Shallots/ Small Onion||6 Numbers||Peeled and chopped finely|
|Dry Red Chilly||2 Numbers||Cut into small|
|Coconut Bits/Thenga Kothu||3 tablespoon||Adjust|
Method For Varutharacha Beef Curry/ Beef in Roasted Coconut Gravy
• In a pressure cooker, place cleaned beef, green chili, 1 springe curry leaves, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon pepper powder, salt for beef and ¾ cup water. Close and cook (in a low-medium) until it whistles once. Keep aside for its pressure release.
• In a frying pan, place ingredients for roast coconut, sauté and roast until golden brown. When cool, blend and make a powder form. Keep aside.
• Heat oil in a wide pan/wok. Add ginger and garlic sauté 1 minute. Add onion and some curry leaves. Add ½ teaspoon salt (it helps to fry onion easily), sauté until light brown. Close and cook until soft. Add diced tomato, stir and cook until soft. Add chili, coriander and 1 tablespoon garam masala/meat masala, sauté until its raw smell disappear. Add roasted coconut ground powder and mix well.
• Add potato, Sauté and mix well.
• Add pressure cooked beef with stock; ¾ cup water and salt (if need) combine well.
• Close and cook until all potatoes are cooked and gravy thicken. Keep aside.
• Heat 2 tablespoon coconut oil in a frying pan, pop mustard seeds. Fry shallots, dry chili, coconut bits and some curry leaves until golden brown. Pour over it to the beef curry, mix well.
• Delicious and aromatic Kerala Style beef curry is ready! Serve with boiled rice, puttu (Kerala Steamed cake), appam (steamed rice pancake), Chapati, bread etc… enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
You can use any red meat for this recipe.
Use coconut oil for the original typical kerala taste.
Try to you homemade meat masala for this recipe, click HERE for the recipe.
Adjust spices and oil as per your taste.