You Know that I have variety of seafood recipes in my blog, Yeah! I am a big fan of Kerala style sea food, especially Konju (Prawns) and fish items. Fish Masala Fry Kerala (Indian) Style (Neymeen Masala arachu varuthathu/ Pan Fried Fish Fry with Indian Spices) is a different style of preparation and varied from normal Kerala fish fry recipes. The aroma of original and fresh ground masala paste enhances the fish meat’s taste heavenly, also I am added some flours in its marinating part, it gives your fish fries a very crispy and crunchy texture in its outer part. Try and Enjoy 🙂
|Recipe Type||South India/ Sea food Side Dish|
|Preparation Time||20 Minutes|
|Marinating Time||3 Hours|
|Cooking Time||15 to 20 Minutes|
Ingredients For Fish Masala Fry (To Grind)
|Cinnamon Stick||1 Inch Stick||Cut into Small|
|Cardamom||3 to 4|
|Cloves||5 to 6|
|Fennel Seeds||½ Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Ginger||1 Inch Fat Root||Skinned and Diced|
|Garlic||3 to 4 Fat Cloves||Skinned and Diced|
|Onion/Savola||1 Small||Skinned and Diced|
Ingredients for Fish Masala Fry (To Marinate and Fry)
|Seer / King Fish /Ney Meen or Any Firm Fish||500g||Cut into small/medium Pieces|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Plain Flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice Flour||1 tablespoon|
|Lemon Juice||1 Table Spoon|
|Curry Leaves||1 Sprig||Cut into small|
|Coconut Oil/ Any Veg Oil||For Deep Fry|
Method for Fish Masala Fry
• Place cinnamon sticks, cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, and pepper seeds in a blender or food processor. Blend and make a crushed/ coarse form.
• Add ginger, garlic and onion. Blend again and make a paste form.
• Place fish pieces in a big mixing bowl. Add ground paste, spice powders, flour powders, lemon juice, and salt to taste and curry leaves. Mix and marinate well.
• Make sure each fish piece well covered with masala paste.
• Place it in an air-tight container and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
• Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
• Place marinated fish pieces one by one and fry it in a medium heat.
• When both sides are golden brown, remove it from oil and place on kitchen towel/tissue to remove excess oil.
• Serve hot and crispy, enjoy 🙂
Notes and Tips
1. You can freeze the marinated fish pieces and use as per your need.
2. Long hours marinated fish will give you more taste but you need to freeze them.