Jeera Rice is a simple and tasty North Indian dish. It is a combination of rice, ghee or butter and cumin seeds. Jeera rice is popular in Pakistan too and it is known as Zeera Rice there. Now days Jeera rice is very common in Indian restaurant’s menu and it goes well with creamy or gravy chicken curry, butter chicken, Mutter/matar Paneer, Veg curries etc.. Also a good recipe for lunch boxes, parties and picnics.
|Recipe Type||Main Course/North India /Rice Recipes|
|Soaking and preparation time||45 minutes|
Ingredients For Simple Jeera/Zeera Rice
|Basmati Rice||1 Cup|
|Ghee/Butter||2 tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Cumin seeds/ Jeera||2 tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
Method For Simple Jeera/Zeera Rice
• Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes, drain the water completely.
• Heat ghee in a pressure cooker or vessel, add cumin seeds. Fry few seconds without burning.
• Add drained rice, fry 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add water and salt, allow boiling.
• Close and cook in a medium heat until cooker whistles 2 to 3 times.
• I used electric rice cooker for this recipe. For that preparation you need to transfer fried cumin and rice mixture to the electric rice cooker. Then add water and salt, close and cook until rice looks fluffy.
• Serve Cumin/Jeera Rice with any gravy curry like, Chicken gravy curry, Mutter Paneer, Butter Chicken, Veg Kuruma etc. and pappad and raita/yogurt salad etc.. Enjoy!