Mysore Mutton Roast is a tasty and royal Indian dish. In Singapore Indian restaurants, it is a popular delicacy for functions and parties. All of us in my home love this mutton feast very much so I have tried to learn how to cook Mysore Mutton Roast in restaurant style. As usual I have added my own take of it too for my own satisfaction. 😉 🙂 Mysore Mutton Roast is a compound of Indian spices, that spices aroma really enrich the taste of mutton and its gravy. In this recipe I used a big amount of shallots and ginger to mask mutton’s raw smell and also increase its gravy’s taste. Before the gravy’s preparation, I pressure cook pre-marinated mutton to get a tender taste and use the same mutton’s essence for its gravy preparation instead of water. It turned out very well and I got an excellent taste similar to restaurant style. Mysore Mutton Roast is a thick gravy textured dish and a good combination with Naan, Chappathy or boiled rice. Try and enjoy this mutton feast with awesome flavors of Indian Spices, I am sure all non-vegetarian’s love this tender spicy taste very much 🙂
|Recipe Type||Side Dish/ Indian Spicy|
|Cooking and preparation Time||45 Minutes to 1 hour|
|Serve To||4 to 5|
Ingredients for Mysore Mutton Roast (Restaurant Style)
|Fresh mutton||1kg||Cleaned and Cubed into medium size (Boneless and fat less meat)|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon||For Marinating|
|Pepper Powder||½ Teaspoon||For Marinating|
|Ginger||2 Inch Root||Crushed (for marinating)|
|Garlic||3 Cloves||Crushed (For marinating)|
|Meat Spices Powder||½ Teaspoon||For marinating|
|Thick Yogurt||1 Tablespoon||For Marinating (It help to soften the mutton pieces)|
|Salt||½ Teaspoon||For marinating|
|Coconut Oil/Any Veg Oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||2 inch Stick||Cut into small Pieces|
|Cardamom Pods||4 to 5 Numbers|
|Star anise||2 numbers|
|Cloves||5 to 6 numbers|
|Bay Leaf||2 Numbers|
|Fennel Seeds||A Pinch|
|Shallots/Small Onion||300gm||Skinned and Sliced(You can use 3 to 4 big onions instead of shallots)|
|Ginger||2 inch root||crushed|
|Green Chilly||2 or 3||Slit into lengthwise|
|Chilly Powder||3 Tablespoon||Adjust as per your taste|
|Coriander Powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Meat Spices Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black Pepper Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Teaspoon|
|Roasted Cumin Seed Powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 medium size||Chopped Finely|
|Salt||As per required|
|Chopped Coriander leaves||Few||For Garnishing|
Method For Mysore Mutton Roast (Restaurant
• In a mixing bowl, place mutton and ingredients for marinate. Mix well and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
• Pressure cook marinated mutton in a medium flame. When its whistle twice, turn off the heat. Keep aside to cool and release its pressure.
• When pressure released, separate essence water from the cooked mutton and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or wok. Add cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, bay leaves, cloves and fennel seeds and saute well. You will get a wonderful aroma.
• Add shallots, green chilly and curry leaves stir well.
• When its light brown, add ginger and garlic paste. Stir and fry well.
• Add all masala powders and roast well.
• Add tomato pieces and stir until soft.
• Pour the mutton essence water in it. Mix well and allow it to boil.
• When it’s boiled well, add cooked mutton pieces and mix well. Add salt required and cook it in a medium heat, do not cover the pan.
• When its thick gravy in texture, add cashew nuts and mix well.
• Stir it continuously in a high flame until gravy is dry in texture and masala well cover each mutton pieces.
• Turn off the heat and garnish Mysore Mutton Roast with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with boiled rice, chappathi or naan and enjoy!
In this recipe I did not add water.You can get sufficient water from the pressure cook meat itself
It is a bit spicy preparation, you can adjust/reduce chilly powder and pepper powder as per your taste.
In this recipe, you can use big onions instead of shallots but shallots gives you a better taste and textured gravy