Kannambu/Millet Fish Curry Kerala Style or Spicy Millet/Kannambu Curry with Kudampuli is a spicy and tangy recipe from kerala. In Singapore we get fresh and tasty Mullet/Kannambu from wet markets as well as supermarkets. We can prepare an authentic or traditional kerala Kannambu/Mullet curry with coconut or without coconut. Here I am introducing to you its spicy version, it goes well with kappa, boiled rice, appam, puttu, chappathi etc. make a try and enjoy!
|Recipe Type||Seafood Side Dish/Kerala/Spicy|
|Cooking and preparation time||30 to 45 minutes|
|Serve to||3 to 4|
Ingredients For Kannambu/Mullet Fish Curry Kerala Style/ Spicy Mullet/Kannambu Curry with Kudampuli
|Mullet/Kannambu Fish||500g||Cleaned and Cut into Medium Size|
|Coconut Oil||2 tablespoon|
|Mustard Seeds||¼ Teaspoon|
|Ginger||2 inch root||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Garlic||3 Fat Cloves||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Shallots||5 to 6||Skinned and Chopped Finely|
|Green Chili||2 Numbers||Slit into two|
|Curry Leaves||A hand full|
|Kashmiri Chili Powder||3 to 4 tablespoon||Refer Notes|
|Roasted Fenugreek Powder||¼ Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||¼ Tablespoon|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Malabar Fish Tamarind (Kudampuli)/ Gambooge||3 to 4 pieces||Cleaned and soaked|
|Water||1 ½ Cup or as per your taste|
Method For Kannambu/Mullet Fish Curry Kerala Style/ Spicy Mullet/Kannambu Curry with Kudampuli
• Heat oil in a clay pot. Pop mustard seeds. Add ginger, garlic, shallots, green chili and curry leaves. Sauté until onion become golden brown.
• Lower the flame, add spice powders. Sauté until its row smell disappears.
• Add water.
• Add soaked Fish tamarind (cut into small).
• Add Salt, mix and allow to boil.
• Add fish pieces.
• Make sure fish pieces are well dipped in the gravy.
• Close and cook fish curry in low-medium heat next 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and rotate the curry pot occasionally to prevent burning. (Don’t stir the curry with spoon. It will break up the fish pieces, just take the pan and rotate slowly)
• When the gravy slightly thickens, turn off the heat and garnish with fresh curry leaves.
• Keep fish curry few minutes for setting, serve with or boiled rice and enjoy!
Tips and Notes
For this recipe I used fresh chili powder from kerala prepared by my mom. It is a combination (1:1 ratio) of piriyan mullakku (spice less chilly) and Normal Chilly (saada Mullakku) so it is spice less and colorful.You can add Kashmiri chilli powder also for the same effect.
It tastes better in next day. Refregerate, reheat and use